+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone contacted Glenn Croft recently ?

I'm Matt.

Default Regarding Croft Acoustics

It was Glenn's express wish that when he was gone also his amplifiers (his legacy) go with him.

With that intention in mind I have this afternoon instructed that servers at croftacoustics.co.uk be deleted. This will most likely be in effect by tomorrow evening.

Anyone who wishes to archive reviews or pictures or anything from the site should do so as a matter of urgency.

I own the copyright for many of the pictures on the site, I am happy for anyone to use pictures for their own non commetcial use with Glenn's final wishes in mind.

Of course the many loyal dealers who still own stock are free to do as they wish with those stocks. Anything on the bench not currently completed will remain as is.

As sad as this is to many that is what Glenn wanted and he will always be the boss.

Thank you,

Matt O'Donoghue.

I'm James.

I am deeply saddened by this news and my heart and condolences go out to all his family and friends who have known him over the years.

I knew Glenn from his very earliest days when he used to pop into a small business called Warstones Hifi run by a great character called Don Swain. This was in the early 1980s and I visited the shop which I think was based over a pet shop on the Warstones road in Wolverhampton. Glenn would drop in with his amplifiers and any of us who were lucky enough to be around would hear them hooked up to whatever system Don had in his demonstration room at the time. Some of you may know how Glenn started back then as he was part of a small group of audio enthusiasts who were investigating all sorts of valve amps to identify which designs were the best sounding. Out of this came Glenn's first designs.

The very first amplifiers I heard at Warstones were Glenn's OTL all valve mono blocks. What an introduction. The size and weight of these beasts was huge as would have been the heat and electricity bills! They sounded sublime. As I was at the shop so often I would bump into Glenn who would more often than not be in one of the back rooms looking at other equipment. Here I first got to know this great man who was both very quiet but very polite and forthcoming with his knowledge and suggestions.

I then went on to purchase his first Croft Micro which was probably the smallest and most basic amplifier he ever built but it sounded fantastic. I think it was about £125. After this the rest is a very long history of ever more sophisticated designs most of which I heard at some time or other including his very rare Cypher mono blocks. I purchased many amplifiers built by Glenn over the years and indeed today I use his 25R and Series 7 power amp.

I kept in touch with Glenn over the last 30-40 years usually via email and would often seek his advice which he would always give graciously. His amplifiers have been the basis of my HiFI journey all these years and I feel very lucky to have known him and owned many of his amazing designs and those that remain with me will be cherished for ever, a great testimony to this unique and wonderful audio engineer.

RIP Glenn
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Pete.

"Anything on the bench not currently completed will remain as is."

Hmm ......I suspect that if someone's amp was in for repair and was not returned to them, as per the statement above. You would be tainting Glen's deserved legacy, by misappropriation. Suggest you check who's property the items are on the "bench" before they become part of Glen's Estate.

I say this in all seriousness having Just Sort out my Late mothers estate.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by zanash View Post
    "Anything on the bench not currently completed will remain as is."

Hmm ......I suspect that if someone's amp was in for repair and was not returned to them, as per the statement above. You would be tainting Glen's deserved legacy, by misappropriation. Suggest you check who's property the items are on the "bench" before they become part of Glen's Estate.

I say this in all seriousness having Just Sort out my Late mothers estate.
    That is NOT what is meant. Owners amplifiers are of course being returned. But not worked beyond their current state. There are not much more than 5 items of concern, due largely to Glenn's progressively failing health. I have already been contacted personally by one owner.

Glenn is survived by a loving sister and a very long term friend who lived and worked with him since 1984 and more constantly in the last fifteen years.

There are things to be considered such as access to computers. The estate will be managed with honour and integrity. Anyone who has equipment in for work is encouraged to contact Tony on the business number.

Please no enquiries other than legitimate official business.

Thank you, Matt.
    Last edited by matodono1; 09-11-2022 at 00:29.

I'm Dave.

If I can do anything to help customers or prospective customers, please e-mail.

I can't help with repairs but any competent engineer should be able to fix practically any Croft amplifier ever made.

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If I can do anything to help customers or prospective customers, please e-mail.

I can't help with repairs but any competent engineer should be able to fix practically any Croft amplifier ever made.
    Thanks Dave, I'm sure Jo & Tony will be glad of your support.

M
    Last edited by matodono1; 09-11-2022 at 00:42.

I'm David.

This really is the saddest news. His skills brought and will continue to bring so much joy to my life.
    Matt, With apologies for the intrusion I've sent you a private message hoping you can give me a steer on my situation, as I have a small dilemma and have no idea how to proceed.
    Last edited by Stranraer; 09-11-2022 at 23:22.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This really is the saddest news. His skills brought and will continue to bring so much joy to my life.
    Matt, With apologies for the intrusion I've sent you a private message hoping you can give me a steer on my situation, as I have a small dilemma and have no idea how to proceed.
    Hi S,

I've actually been very low that last few days. I've stayed away from all social media just to reset. I will read your message now.

Apologies for the delay.

M.

I'm David.

Thanks for your assistance at this difficult tme Matt, upholding Glenn's reputaton for quality service to the last.
    Mark Levinson 390 CD / Croft 25RS Special Preamp / Croft 7R mono Amps / Neat Ultimatum XLS Speakers

I'm Josie.

Hi Matt.. Please send on my deepest sympathies to his family and close friends.

He was a wonderful person and loved by so many. He was honest,helpful and professional. And was a delight to work with. Nobody came close to his spirit.

R.I.P Glenn, matey... Blessed be to you.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast