+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier upgrade recommendations please

I'm Peter.

Default Amplifier upgrade recommendations please

Hello all, as you can see from my signature I am using a valve preamp built from a kit and although it sounds good I am hoping for an improvement on SQ and a remote for volume too.
    I was thinking that spending on a better preamp will improve my system. Two things arise from this thought though; 1 - what level would you recommend spending at to maybe push the boundaries of the Cambridge with a future upgrade later
    2- Spend a little more and get a pre and power amp (or integrated) from the same manufacturer and stop upgrading the amps in the future.

As a side note, I bought the DAC and it improved the sound from the computer a lot as I had hoped and also added bass to the Cd player.
    I don't know whether to go with a better CD player in the future or rip them, was going to let the Linn die and then decide. Although it will probably depend how long it lives for

As I am in NZ I have a little more limited choice of equipment as compared to the UK, so this might be a factor too
    TT: Pro-ject 1.2, Ortofon Blue
    Phono stage: Muffsy
    Cd: Linn Karik
    Dac: Denafrips Ares II
    Amps: Pre: EleKit TU-8500, Power: Cambridge Audio Azur 651W
    Speakers: Chario Hiper Tower 2000
    Cables: Linn, Straight Wire & Chord Clearways
    Headphones:PC, Ifi Zen Air, Sennheiser HD450 & HD569

I'm Rob.

There is a lot of stuff on Diyaudio about improving the Elekit. This is a link to one of the threads and there are many more.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/t...grades.350640/
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Martin.

I'd look at the matching Cambridge pre-amp. Gain staging and impedance matching between pre and power amps can be the source of poor (or less than optimal) sound so would make sense to have their pre-amp too.

Improving the speakers and the acoustics of the room are where the big jumps in sound quality lie. Your speakers look pretty good but there are always better speakers out there.

I'd keep the CD player until it dies. That's the least likely area to make any gains in SQ
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Thanks for the link Rob.

I was aware of the upgrades but now that you have pointed them out, on a forum thread that I'd not come across before, I will have to reconsider this.
    As well as a pair of valves too

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd look at the matching Cambridge pre-amp. Gain staging and impedance matching between pre and power amps can be the source of poor (or less than optimal) sound so would make sense to have their pre-amp too.

Improving the speakers and the acoustics of the room are where the big jumps in sound quality lie. Your speakers look pretty good but there are always better speakers out there.
    Thanks Macca, I am aware of the pre - power matching, one area where my current setup is struggling as the volume control is very touchy. That was one reason for wondering if I should look a new amplification completely.

I originally bought the speakers because I liked the sound that I was hearing (wife and I were shopping for a small TV at the time) whilst waiting for a salesman to talk to so I am quite keen to keep them.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete812 View Post
    Thanks Macca, I am aware of the pre - power matching, one area where my current setup is struggling as the volume control is very touchy. That was one reason for wondering if I should look a new amplification completely.
    Do you struggle to find a volume setting between too quiet and too loud? If so then I would try the Cambridge pre-amp. I don't know how it works in NZ but here Richer Sounds would let you have a home trial.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Adrian.

I'd keep the CD player until it dies. That's the least likely area to make any gains in SQ
    I would agree with the Speakers and Acoustics giving big jumps. You do not mention how much you want to spend?

You mention CD upgrade if you stick with the medium, if you do then one option to kill the pre-amp and CD with one stone, is the Audiolab 8300CDQ CD player, with a very good DAC as well, and separate very good Pre-Amp, I use one in conjunction with a Krell amp and the SQ is very, very good across the range, and very natural/neutral, whether CD, streaming or analogue inputs. It's not cheap but very good VFM. If you can get one on home Demo or take your amp to an Audiolab dealer(if in NZ) I would do that, I would be surprised if it was not a big improvement. Also with the Audiolab DAC you can simply add a cheap streaming solution such as a RaspberryPI with a SPDIF card and use Volumio, or connect a laptop using USB to it. Another benefit of the Audiolab8300CDQ is you can connect it to your Cambridge with balanced cables which will give you an even better step up in SQ.

With respect the Chario speakers I can find very little about them, although the Italian make is well respected, one owner review comment was a 'little lacking in detail'. I would check on the speakers capability to take load, your Cambridge amp is a very good one at this price point and should be able to deliver the goods, if paired with that are speakers up to it.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Geoff.

Do you struggle to find a volume setting between too quiet and too loud? If so then I would try the Cambridge pre-amp. I don't know how it works in NZ but here Richer Sounds would let you have a home trial.
    I'm sure there are still quite a few people happily using Rothwell inline attenuators and the like to match high pre-amp output to lower sensitivity power amps. Dunno if they're still available.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I'm sure there are still quite a few people happily using Rothwell inline attenuators and the like to match high pre-amp output to lower sensitivity power amps. Dunno if they're still available.
    I have a set somewhere that I bought when I had a valve pre with too much gain, but they spoiled the sound for me. Situation dependant I suppose.

Much better to get it right from the off than to use a sticking plaster IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I would agree with the Speakers and Acoustics giving big jumps. You do not mention how much you want to spend?

You mention CD upgrade if you stick with the medium, if you do then one option to kill the pre-amp and CD with one stone, is the Audiolab 8300CDQ CD player, with a very good DAC as well, and separate very good Pre-Amp, I use one in conjunction with a Krell amp and the SQ is very, very good across the range, and very natural/neutral, whether CD, streaming or analogue inputs. It's not cheap but very good VFM. If you can get one on home Demo or take your amp to an Audiolab dealer(if in NZ) I would do that, I would be surprised if it was not a big improvement. Also with the Audiolab DAC you can simply add a cheap streaming solution such as a RaspberryPI with a SPDIF card and use Volumio, or connect a laptop using USB to it. Another benefit of the Audiolab8300CDQ is you can connect it to your Cambridge with balanced cables which will give you an even better step up in SQ.

With respect the Chario speakers I can find very little about them, although the Italian make is well respected, one owner review comment was a 'little lacking in detail'. I would check on the speakers capability to take load, your Cambridge amp is a very good one at this price point and should be able to deliver the goods, if paired with that are speakers up to it.
    Thanks for your reply, I will look into the Audiolab unit, it certainly gives me another option.

Yes there is very little about Chario's on the net. They are no longer brought into NZ and haven't been for over 10 years. I was wondering if replacing them is something I should look into.
    I couldn't find any reviews of my power amp so it is good to hear that you think that it is a good amp.

I omitted to mention the amount of money I wish to spend because I was after a guide as to what equipment I should be looking at in regards to the others in my system.
    One thought that I had was to buy a preamp that is at the next level, so to speak, so that the power amp is then the weaker of the two amps thinking that this would make an improvement in sound. However looking at pre/power combos from a few manufacturers they seem to be of equal cost or the power amp is the more expensive of the two. This might indicate that the preamp upgrades, that Rob mentioned, are worth while doing and putting up with no remote and only using 20% of the volume range, not a biggie really.
    I was looking at the Hegel P20 preamp, for example (not knowing if it is a good match) or something at that level so a Cambridge unit would fit into this idea.

Perhaps I am looking to spend money on the wrong things and should rethink my options, hence the origional post asking for recommendations and advice.
    The room is a compromise, it is the only living area that we have hence spending a bit on new headphones and amp/dac, earlier in the year, for the computer that is in a bedroom.

Maybe I should just take my system to a dealer in Auckland for the day and try things out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast