+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tape recommendations for a Revox PR99 mk2.

I'm Paul.

Default Tape recommendations for a Revox PR99 mk2.

I have decided to explore the world of R2R and as such I have acquired a very nice Revox PR99 mk2, Is there a specific make/type of tape anyone can recommend for it and where to purchase?
    Thanks
    HI-FI SYSTEM:-
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.
    Yamaha GT2000 T/Table with Shure MKIV Cartridge and Jeco VN-45HE SAS/R Stylus.
    Bang & Olufsen Beolab18's and the 19 Sub Speakers.

A/V 5.1 System :-
    Soundsend Wisa box.
    Harmen Kardon front and rear satellite.
    Legend 10.2 Silverback Active Centre.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

https://www.recordingthemasters.com/

https://www.atrtape.com/

I do not know the dealers in your area.

(I have PR99MkI's that have been calibrated to the RTM SM911/LPR35 tapes.)
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I used Ferrotape on my old Ferrograph 632 machine and now on my Nagra IV-S. I believe the tape was made for Ferograph by Pyral, a French manufacturer of magnetic recording tape. Pyral is now part of the French Mulann group and is still based in Avranches, France.

RecordingTheMasters tape is made by Mulann and is based on the original Agfa and BASF formulation.
    Barry

I'm Alan.

You have to look at what tape is still available today ? and what tape your machine is calibrated for ?
    Recording the masters RTM are possibly the most accessible in in Europe
    SM911 is a good match for the Revox machines and is a master tape, the LPR35 is the long play version of the same formulation and still sound excellent.
    In second hand tape the Maxell XLi tape is also very good if its still in good condition
    After calibrating a machine for SM911 I tried various tapes to check the FR see attached link
    IMG_4381 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
    Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Paul.

Thanks to all the above, I wonder if anyone can recommend a book/manual for this particular machine or indeed any R2R machines, I do have the downloaded instructions, but would like something more detailed.
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.

Soundsend Wisa box.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Google for the service manual. That should have plenty information.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Google for the service manual. That should have plenty information.
    Revox B250 Amp.
    Revox PR 99 mk2 R2R.
    Revox B126 C/D Player.

Soundsend Wisa box.

I'm Alan.

The Revox PR99 Mk2 is a very good machine and well worth servicing and calibrating for one of the modern tapes
    All of the Revox service manuals are available
    https://www.reeltoreel.nl/studer/Pub...ox/Revox_PR99/
    Here is a frequency check after calibration of a Revox B77 for RTM LPR90 tape
    The input is from my 2 channel signal generator, Minirater Pro and the output from the tape deck is monitored by the Leader 186 Analogue 2 channel AC volt meter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5GN...annel=337alant

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread