+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HiFi World

I'm Steve.

Default HiFi World

I recieved a letter from KSA Group with regards to my subscription to HiFi World magazine and it's insolvent liquadation. Very sad indeed. Though to be honest much of the letter i simply didn't understand. I think the only thing i can do really is away down to the bank and make sure the standing order has been stopped. Very sad indeed and really feel for Noel Keywood.

I'm Rob.

I agree. It was my go to Hi-Fi Magazine for many years. Even had a couple of letters published as letter of the month. Sad news
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Sad news indeed. Hi Fi World was the only hi-fi mag that was worth reading, unlike most of the others who simply masturbated over overpriced equipment.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Remember the early issues with a free CD on the front, still have the disc from issue no1.

Great Richard Thomson Stuff on it.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Rob.

It surprises me that there are still any printed hifi magazines in existence given the number of reviews that can be found online. The age old criticism was that as the manufacturers were paying to be included that there was bound to an element of bias.

I sometimes scan through Hifi News and Hifi Plus(h) and the first thing I look for is the price tag on any reviewed item. Most of them I don't bother to read as the cost is laughable and seem to bear no relation to reality. I suppose someone must buy this stuff?
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Mike.

unfortunately we are a dying breed, kids nowadays are happy with a phone and a pair of ear buds. At NEBO last weekend we saw in the outside smoking area of the pub a group of people sat listening to a phone playing spotify, definitely not high fidelity but they aren't bothered, it's the times we live in

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Dave.

I was receiving a FOC copy of HFW every month but it stopped arriving a couple of months into Covid, so I guessed it had gone bust.

I get a free copy of HFN every month because I advertise but there's rarely anything reviewed which is affordable and I'm a retailer...

I'm Geoff.

I agree that there are far fewer people as invested in high quality sound than when I was young. I bought my first quality hifi when I was 18 back in 1977.

One very good reason for that was that there were few alternative forms of entertainment back then. VCRs were still relatively new and expensive back then and there were only a few TV channels to choose from.

The irony is that a decent quality music system has never been more affordable. A decent DAC with a pair of excellent headphones can be had for £500 or less. My PC speakers, the AudioEngine A1s cost just over £100 and sound fantastic playing Spotify or similar via Bluetooth on a phone or tablet.

I don't think things will change in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    unfortunately we are a dying breed, kids nowadays are happy with a phone and a pair of ear buds. At NEBO last weekend we saw in the outside smoking area of the pub a group of people sat listening to a phone playing spotify, definitely not high fidelity but they aren't bothered, it's the times we live in

I'm Grant.

my doctor always had hifi mags on his table to keep patients happy along with good housekeeping and car mags etc. only time i saw them really as the stuff was always way out of my league
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

My last dentist used to have fishng magazines for the men and Cosmopolitan for the women. Not current ones just some old tat that he must have had lying around at home for years. Used to end up reading the Cosmos because I've got even less interest in fishing. It's not a good look though is it?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast