+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WTD: bookshelf/monitor speakers

I'm Andrew.

Default WTD: bookshelf/monitor speakers

Looking for an inexpensive pair of passive bookshelf speakers/monitors for my daughter going to uni without much space in her room. Will probably end up being placed on her desk, so the smaller the better. Will be driven by a T-amp so 87dB+. Any suggestions? Either delivered or I could collect in the Cambridge area.

I'm Geoff.

I know you are looking for passives but give these a look. I bought them for my pc and I am massively impressed by the sound. They are really small but have impressive wallop for their size.

BTW I use Magnepan 1.7 speakers in my main system so I know a good speaker when I hear one.

https://www.av.com/Speakers/Audioeng...xoCyFkQAvD_BwE

I'm Andrew.

Thanks Geoff, just the sort of informed, helpful advice I was hoping to get here!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by ahgee2 View Post
    Looking for an inexpensive pair of passive bookshelf speakers/monitors for my daughter going to uni without much space in her room. Will probably end up being placed on her desk, so the smaller the better. Will be driven by a T-amp so 87dB+. Any suggestions? Either delivered or I could collect in the Cambridge area.
    Dali spektor 1
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Geoff.

Another advantage is that the Bluetooth option means they can be run from a phone or tablet. I have them connected via Bluetooth to my pc. Spotify sounds great.

I'm David.

I've got a pair of Kef Crestas going spare, or if you want really small, a pair of QED Arias...........

I'm Andrew.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and offers. I went for the Audioengine A1s and can second Geoff's opinion that these are seriously good speakers for the size and the price. Excellent service from av.com too.

I'm Geoff.

Unbeatable for price I think, with 5 year warranty too. The fact that they do not require a cable connection makes placement very flexible. Basically anywhere in the room they are being used. They do benefit from being tilted upwards slightly if used on a desk so that they point to ear height. There is a stand available but at £33 quid I improvised a solution with a sorbothane ball cut in half and placed at the front of the speaker. The old squash ball cut in half would work too. Also worth using a good quality speaker cable to link the speakers.

Glad you are pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ahgee2 View Post
    Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and offers. I went for the Audioengine A1s and can second Geoff's opinion that these are seriously good speakers for the size and the price. Excellent service from av.com too.
    Last edited by Sherwood; 22-09-2022 at 11:08.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Unbeatable for price I think, with 5 year warranty too. The fact that they do not require a cable connection makes placement very flexible. Basically anywhere in the room they are being used. They do benefit from being tilted upwards slightly if used on a desk so that they point to ear height. There is a stand available but at £33 quid I improvised a solution with a sorbothane ball cut in half and placed at the front of the speaker. The old squash ball cut in half would work too. Also worth using a good quality speaker cable to link the speakers.

Glad you are pleased with them.
    look excellent. ive looked at them before..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I use them in my home office. They fit perfectly under the screen of my 32" 4K monitor. Although only 2ft apart the stereo image they produce is excellent. Transients are excellent making for an energetic lively sound. Although deep bass is absent, the texture and timbre of the lower registers is well reproduced. They do have a subwoofer out connection but that would be over the top in my small home office.

They are occasionally discounted so worth keeping an eye out this coming Black Friday

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    look excellent. ive looked at them before..

+ Reply to Thread