+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DAC: Geshelli JNOG2 (AKM) [aka J2]

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed - half of the test result graphs are meaningless to me. But on the other hand, subjective reviews are just that - subjective. So I would need to read several independent reviews to form some idea of what the device sounds like.

As you say, it's all down to personal preference.
    It measures well in all of the tested areas, there's nothing there to indicate that it would overlay any sound of its own onto the recorded signal.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My little TPA3116 amp is excellent.
    Before I bought mine, I was searching this forum everywhere because I remember you recommended a cheap amp, and I had a feeling it might be a TPA3116 based one. It looks like I was right.

Am I right in thinking you prefer it to your Quad 306?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    Before I bought mine, I was searching this forum everywhere because I remember you recommended a cheap amp, and I had a feeling it might be a TPA3116 based one. It looks like I was right.

Am I right in thinking you prefer it to your Quad 306?
    No, I like both. The 306 probably has the edge I think, but I've not directly compared them that I recall.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    No, I like both. The 306 probably has the edge I think, but I've not directly compared them that I recall.
    I haven't directly compared mine to the 306 either. The Aiyima A07 has the TPA3255 chip that's supposed to be even better than the TPA3116. It's certainly capable of producing a lot more power.

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

It's been several weeks but a series of events has meant a lot of things I might otherwise have done have been put on hold, including posting on forums. But, I haven't forgotten.

1) Geshelli JNOG2 (AKM chip) [DAC]
    2) Aiyima A07 [power amp]

Geshelli... I had this in my system for a few weeks and listened to music as I normally would. After a few weeks the Pontus II was brought back into the system and that's when the differences became more apparent. Don't forget the price points of the two are very different (£427 late 2022 with my spec vs £1,900 as of 2021).

Long story short, the Geshelli is a perfectly decent DAC at that price point. It presents audio that is neither bright nor dull but there is a lack of subtlety that, to me, was emphasised when I'd brought back the Pontus. I also have a Bluesound Node 2i and, on balance, prefer music via its onboard DAC compared to the Geshelli. For me, that makes the Node much better value given it is primarily a streamer with a DAC tagged on for good measure. That said, the Node 2i has a build design flaw insofar as a couple of capacitors on the power supply board can get too hot resulting in a reduced life-span - easily replaceable but not ideal. Alternatively, there are aftermarket kits to replace the Node's original power supply - I got one so the capacitor issue won't affect me.

The Geshelli isn't a "bad" DAC at all but it doesn't produce the richness and depth of the audio immediately apparent when the Pontus was fired back up.

The basic Geshelli (i.e. standard case & no USB port) would have been £80 - £90 cheaper (£337 to £347, UK import). At current prices, the latest Node (3rd gen, "N130") is typically priced at £550 so the question is all down to VFM. IMO, if you're looking for a streamer and a DAC with a relatively limited budget, the Node is the way to go. If it's just a DAC, then there are several competitors to the Geshelli at the £350 to £450 price point and it's going to be down to personal preference in the context of functionality and audio character.

Would I buy the Geshelli again having now tried it? Never say never but it probably falls into the category of "...the search continues...". If it's already in your system and it's the only one you've got, you're not going to recoil in horror at what you hear but, IMO, you'd always be thinking there is something better out there for similar money or at least not much more money - whether or not there actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    With the cost of living crisis and me being tight, I've been watching YouTube reviews by the cheapaudioman. Curious to hear how you're getting on with the Geshelli J2? I'm also interested in your opinion of the Aiyima A07. I bought a dirt cheap 2.1 TPA3116 amp board for my pc because It gets good reviews, and I wasn't too bothered about sound quality, but it's surprisingly good, and not at all what I thought a Class D amp would sound like. I assumed it would be a bit thin and analytical, but it's great.
    Aiyima A07... [with aftermarket upgrade of Sparkos SS3602 op amps (will need risers!)] I'm increasingly impressed by this and would happily suggest it to anyone on a limited budget, subject of course to how the audio character might or might not work for them. I kept the 32v / 5a adaptor that came with it and, so far, it's all been problem free (theoretically, the A07 can use an adaptor up to 48v / 10a). With a pair of speakers that are officially rated at 86dB sensitivity, the A07 is driving them to perfectly decent volumes without difficulty in a medium sized room. If you want earth shaking volume, try an aftermarket power adaptor with more oomph.

IMO, the A07 conveys music with clarity but without falling over into shrieky brightness and there is good representation across the frequency range. Bottom end is solid although, unsurprisingly, not quite as refined as with my Willsenton R8 valve amp. There is plenty of depth, height and width to the soundstage and imaging is more than decent with the A07.

Would I buy the A07 (plus the aftermarket upgrade) again having now tried it? Without hesitation. If circumstances changed and I had to part company from the much larger and heavier valve amp, I could live with the A07. I am definitely keeping it in any case; it's a very handy piece of kit to have as a spare (or to use until energy prices return to sane(r) levels!).
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm James.

Nice reviews Rockaddict. Now I have a reference for the Geshelli.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm matt.

Sounds like the Aiyima A07 really Is a bargain. I don't need another amp, but even so, it's still tempting at the price.

I'm Graeme.

Just found this thread - possibly too late. My Geshelli Labs JNOG2 [J2S] arrives tomorrow! And I did buy it based on reviews, and I will not be able to return the unit easily.

I have however gone the cheap route, and did not select the USB option, nor the fancy wooden casework. So the price was only £233.98. I went for the socketed version of the DAC which explains the [J2S] designation. I choose the AKM chip since I'll then be able to compare that to the ESS chips in my Eversolo DMP-A6.

The socketed version is designed to let you change out the opamps used for the balanced and unbalanced outputs. Geshelli offer three options: TI OPA1656, TI OPA1612, or Sparkos Labs 3602. The pricing for these options range from $0 for the OPA1656 to $79 per opamp for the Sparkos. I already have quite a selection of opamps lying about from other projects, so I ordered the OPA1656. I even have a pair of Sparkos 3602s so I should be able to hear if they make a difference.

I also happen to have an Amanero USB module in the house, which is what Geshelli use, so I may try and get that installed as well.

It will be a fun project.
    Last edited by Desmo; 27-06-2023 at 08:33.

I'm Lawrence.

Just realised I think I've got an Aiyima A07 amp with upgraded power supply in a box under the bed I should dig it out at some point.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    Just found this thread - possibly too late. My Geshelli Labs JNOG2 [J2S] arrives tomorrow! And I did buy it based on reviews, and I will not be able to return the unit easily.

I have however gone the cheap route, and did not select the USB option, nor the fancy wooden casework. So the price was only £233.98. I went for the socketed version of the DAC which explains the [J2S] designation. I choose the AKM chip since I'll then be able to compare that to the ESS chips in my Eversolo DMP-A6.

The socketed version is designed to let you change out the opamps used for the balanced and unbalanced outputs. Geshelli offer three options: TI OPA1656, TI OPA1612, or Sparkos Labs 3602. The pricing for these options range from $0 for the OPA1656 to $79 per opamp for the Sparkos. I already have quite a selection of opamps lying about from other projects, so I ordered the OPA1656. I even have a pair of Sparkos 3602s so I should be able to hear if they make a difference.

I also happen to have an Amanero USB module in the house, which is what Geshelli use, so I may try and get that installed as well.

It will be a fun project.
    I have been interested in the Geshelli Labs DAC for sometime with the AKM chip so will be interested to hear your findings.

I expect the Sparkos op amps may sound the best
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast