+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DAC: Geshelli JNOG2 (AKM) [aka J2]

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Default DAC: Geshelli JNOG2 (AKM) [aka J2]

Never EVER make a purchase based on a single review.
    Never EVER import a product where sending it back is not going to be cost effective.

Uh oh. The evidence below strongly indicates I don't take any notice of my own advice...

The current DAC in my system is, IMO, rather good (Denafrips Pontus II) but that little voice in the head keeps nattering away when it comes to hifi. A Denafrips Terminator Plus is hugely appealing but, barring a lottery win, there is no chance of that. So, in keeping with the theme of improbable (delusional) wishes, how about a dCS Lina (combo streamer / DAC)? On what planet does a streamer / DAC costing £5k(ish) more than the Terminator Plus even come into the equation when the TP isn't within budget? Planet Sim Hifi. I'd be fantastic at that game.

However... I've been toying with the idea of experimenting with "cheap" DACs for some time. All the usual suspects were tempting (e.g. Topping, SMSL, Gustard, Singxer et al) but, for reasons that currently elude me, I just didn't get the "feeling" to pull the trigger. Until now. Based on just one review. Importing from the USA.

Geshelli Labs JNOG2 (AKM version):
    https://geshelli.com/product/jnog2/ [ES Sabre versions also available]

Interactive casing viewer / checker:
    https://geshelli.com/product-viewer/

I went for the USB module (extra US $50) and White Oak wooden casing (extra US $50). Taking into account import duty / VAT etc, the cost overall delivered cost is likely to be roughly a quarter of the Pontus II. Had I stuck with the basic model (aluminium casing / no USB module), that would be roughly 1/7th.

A search for "Geshelli" produced zero hits on the forums so the following question is more in hope than expectation. Nevertheless, has anyone on the forums got any experience of any Geshelli products (especially DACS) and, if so, are there any observations you'd be happy to share.

Not much excites me nowadays but there is genuine eager anticipation for the J2 - the kid inside still lives (occasionally)
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I take it you have read this (non subjective) review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ced-dac.34811/
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I take it you have read this (non subjective) review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...ced-dac.34811/
    Hi Barry... I hadn't seen the ASR info but it wouldn't have made any difference to the decision to purchase. Every now and again, I take a peek at the ASR site for mild entertainment but I have this novel approach to hi-fi components: listening to music, not lab results / numbers

To balance the books, here's a link to an entirely subjective (and very positive) review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USbDI8OQP7s

The reviewer won't be everybody's cup of tea and, sometimes, I find him plain irritating. But, every now and again, something grabs my interest as was so for the J2.

Other online written reviews / user comments are mostly positive in terms of SQ but, as I have long since learnt, it's usually down to personal preference when it comes to audio character.

If I followed ASR as the sole basis for purchases, much of my setup would be regarded as distinctly less-than-great. However, the setup has been steady for a whole year and there is no inclination to make major changes. The J2 purchase is a one-off experiment - I will be truly astonished if it competes with the Pontus II despite the YT reviewer's enthusiasm for the J2. There is space in my second system for the J2, so it won't be a waste. If I don't like it, it should sell reasonably easily.

Whatever anyone's setup, happy listening all.
    Kevin

Main system:
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post
    Hi Barry... I hadn't seen the ASR info but it wouldn't have made any difference to the decision to purchase. Every now and again, I take a peek at the ASR site for mild entertainment but I have this novel approach to hi-fi components: listening to music, not lab results / numbers

To balance the books, here's a link to an entirely subjective (and very positive) review:

The reviewer won't be everybody's cup of tea and, sometimes, I find him plain irritating. But, every now and again, something grabs my interest as was so for the J2.

Other online written reviews / user comments are mostly positive in terms of SQ but, as I have long since learnt, it's usually down to personal preference when it comes to audio character.

If I followed ASR as the sole basis for purchases, much of my setup would be regarded as distinctly less-than-great. However, the setup has been steady for a whole year and there is no inclination to make major changes. The J2 purchase is a one-off experiment - I will be truly astonished if it competes with the Pontus II despite the YT reviewer's enthusiasm for the J2. There is space in my second system for the J2, so it won't be a waste. If I don't like it, it should sell reasonably easily.

Hats off to you for trying something different These do look interesting and the novel approach of case customisation is appealing.

Might be tempted myself- shame there doesn't appear to be a UK-based company doing something similar.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Agreed - half of the test result graphs are meaningless to me. But on the other hand, subjective reviews are just that - subjective. So I would need to read several independent reviews to form some idea of what the device sounds like.

As you say, it's all down to personal preference.
    Barry

I'm Rohan.

@RockAddict did you ever make the decision to order one of these? Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    @RockAddict did you ever make the decision to order one of these? Would be interested to hear your thoughts if you did.
    Hi @VanderGraaf. I have now had the Geshelli J2 (AKM 4493 chip) for 3 weeks. Initial non-critical impressions are "promising" and I'm hoping to get some proper listening done over the next few weeks. The plan is to A/B the J2 with both the Denafrips Pontus II and, separately, the onboard DAC of the Bluesound Node 2i although cabling from the Node (to amp) will be different when tried on its own so it won't be a perfect test.

The A/Bs will be conducted with an Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 op amps) instead of a Willsenton R8. Digressing somewhat but, IMO, the A07 is an amazingly good little amp (<£100; extra £160ish for the op amps).

For info should anyone be interested... Product cost (including wooden case and USB module) came to £345 (near enough) on the back of a very unfriendly exchange rate. The combined additional costs of import duty + FedEx handling charge + VAT came to £82. Total cost delivered = £427. The J2 is supplied with a 2-pin EU plug (useable with an adaptor) but I chose to purchase a made-for-purpose 3-pin UK plug - Geshelli kindly confirmed it was compatible.
    Kevin

Main system:

I'm James.

I hear good things about the Geshelli DAC from that small boutique business.

The chaps are a couple of mavericks doing some interesting stuff. Should sound good built around the AKM chip?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm matt.

Hi @VanderGraaf. I have now had the Geshelli J2 (AKM 4493 chip) for 3 weeks. Initial non-critical impressions are "promising" and I'm hoping to get some proper listening done over the next few weeks. The plan is to A/B the J2 with both the Denafrips Pontus II and, separately, the onboard DAC of the Bluesound Node 2i although cabling from the Node (to amp) will be different when tried on its own so it won't be a perfect test.

The A/Bs will be conducted with an Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 op amps) instead of a Willsenton R8. Digressing somewhat but, IMO, the A07 is an amazingly good little amp (<£100; extra £160ish for the op amps).

For info should anyone be interested... Product cost (including wooden case and USB module) came to £345 (near enough) on the back of a very unfriendly exchange rate. The combined additional costs of import duty + FedEx handling charge + VAT came to £82. Total cost delivered = £427. The J2 is supplied with a 2-pin EU plug (useable with an adaptor) but I chose to purchase a made-for-purpose 3-pin UK plug - Geshelli kindly confirmed it was compatible.
    With the cost of living crisis and me being tight, I've been watching YouTube reviews by the cheapaudioman. Curious to hear how you're getting on with the Geshelli J2? I'm also interested in your opinion of the Aiyima A07. I bought a dirt cheap 2.1 TPA3116 amp board for my pc because It gets good reviews, and I wasn't too bothered about sound quality, but it's surprisingly good, and not at all what I thought a Class D amp would sound like. I assumed it would be a bit thin and analytical, but it's great.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    With the cost of living crisis and me being tight, I've been watching YouTube reviews by the cheapaudioman. Curious to hear how you're getting on with the Geshelli J2? I'm also interested in your opinion of the Aiyima A07. I bought a dirt cheap 2.1 TPA3116 amp board for my pc because It gets good reviews, and I wasn't too bothered about sound quality, but it's surprisingly good, and not at all what I thought a Class D amp would sound like. I assumed it would be a bit thin and analytical, but it's great.
    My little TPA3116 amp is excellent.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast