+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Heybrook TT2 - Restoration Thread

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    I think my upgrade path has cost me <£200 but that's because I've had to order a few bits from Italy and the USA to complete my TT2. TBH there really isn't an upgrade path for a TT2, maybe a new belt, a splash of oil, some veneer treatment......... Certainly no PSU costing several grand, or a new sub-chasis needing a bank loan, or a tonearm costing a testicle.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shane.

Watching with interest!

Something you mention here and in the TT2 info thread is niggling me. You say that the thrust pad is worn. The bearing as supplied consisted of a flat ground on the bottom of the platter spindle sitting on a steel ball in the bottom of the bearing housing, so there is no thrust pad as such. I just wondered if someone might have tried to modify it? Many similar turntables use a PTFE disc as a thrust pad, which I’ve never really liked the idea of.

Photos could be useful…
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Hi Shane I meant the ball bearing is worn and not a thrust pad. I’ve yet to magnet this out and rotate it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Shane.

Ah. Good. What’s the bottom of the spindle like?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andrew.

Part II - Crap customer service.

Part of this resto has been getting an arm which works well with the deck and hopefully maximise it's potential. My chosen steed was the Alphason HR100s, my example has been upto Audio Origami and had a full fettle, and, thankfully the arm was in wonderful condition. I have however in the mists of time managed to lose my bias weight which is a big problem when the arm is no longer made and you can't trust sellers to make something that you have no information on. So, Alphason, are still in business and supply spare bits and bobs. A quick email and £28 later I paid my money and expected the new part 1-2 days later. Three weeks pass, a couple of lame excuses and a threat of action results in bugger all from Alphason. Turns out postage (charges at £5) was less than £2, and £26 for the weight itself. Now, I'm all for a company making money but this takes the urine. So, the moral of this story, use the forums and see if someone can weigh the bias weight from their Alphason tonearm and then get someone to turn one of a Lathe, probably no cheaper but probably come through the post quicker without the bullshit. Lesson learned......

Stay tuned.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Ah. Good. What’s the bottom of the spindle like?

Hi Shane, it looks to be in good nick. I'll try and get some pictures when I have a little spare time.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Andrew.

Part III - A little cosmetic progress.

The TT2 was very dirty and quite tatty when it arrived.

A quick look under the hood revealed the dust and crap that had collected for many years.

A look under the platter showed an oil leak, grease and general gunk.

This is just some of the dirt, grease, oil, that was removed after a basic cleaning session with IPA.

The platter was extremely dirty, so out came the bench polisher and this is what was achieved.

No baseboard.... and then we have a lovely new fabricated baseboard but no feet .

This did give me the idea oppotunity to make sire that all the springs were properly aligned with the red triangles.

Walnut veneer and black base quite tatty, that's another job for another update.

Finally, a quick shot showing the TT being completely level and this enabled the setting up of the spring suspension and the platter.

I'll discuss some of the fun and games setting the TT up next time.

Stay tuned...
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    Part III -

Stay tuned...
    are you sure you have the correct mounting distance andy? the 2m black should look like this.

you have yours way to far back unless the hole for the tonearm is not correct.

you have yours way to far back unless the hole for the tonearm is not correct.

I'm Andrew.

Hi Jamie, yep set this up with Baerweld tracking with Feickert alignment

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/dr-fei...alignment-tool.

Tonearm board is the original from Alphason for Linn tonearms, the HR100S just drops straight in with a mounting distance of 211mm. My Fozgometer measures
    very good equal channel seperation and the 2MB is sitting plumb central.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm jamie.

somethings not right andy,do you have an overhang of 18mm?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast