+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphones from speaker output on amp

I'm Chris.

Default Headphones from speaker output on amp

My neighbour is not an audiophile, but has asked me a question about amplifiers and headphones.

He wants to run headphones (OK with wireless or bluetooth) from his amp but also run the speakers at the same time. He has of course plugged in the headphones on the front panel but it disconnects the speakers.

So is there a way for him to get a signal to his headphones, perhaps by doubling up the speaker output from the amp. I think impedance might be an issue.

He is happy to buy kit off the shelf, but is not into DIY.

Thanks
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Kevin.

What is the amp?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    What is the amp?
    Nothing special, just cheap and cheerful, something like Denon/Yamaha used for music and surround TV.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Alan.

If it was me I would move the speaker wires internally so they didn't go through the headphone socket and get muted.

Can't even find a simple adapter box to add a phone outlet to speaker outputs. There are a multitude of small headphone amplifiers on ebay, perhaps one could be added to the tape output if fitted?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Rob.

I made one of the adapters at the link below for a DIY chip amp years ago. If I was using it for headphones then I disconnected the speaker leads.

It might be possible to disable the switching part of the headphone socket so that they run in tandem, but this might invlove adding a resistor circuit to maintain the recommended 120Ω source impedance.

https://sound-au.com/project100.htm
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Kevin.

Is there a “tape out” on the amp?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Chris.

No "tape out" on the amp unfortunately, and it's the old style big plug for the headphones.

Out of interest if we shorted the speaker wires across the headphone socket will the amp be happy to play both the main speakers and headphones together without reliability/electrical issues?
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Out of interest if we shorted the speaker wires across the headphone socket will the amp be happy to play both the main speakers and headphones together without reliability/electrical issues?
    I certainly wouldn't do that, unless your mate wants to buy a new amp.

I'm Alan.

I think he means shorting across the switching contact in the headphone socket, I can't see a problem with that.

There is usually a series resistor of around 220 ohms to reduce the signal going out to the phones, providing that is still in circuit to the phones then no problem driving speakers and phones.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Ahh, fair enough. I had images of cables running from front to rear!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast