This week's album, A Light For Attracting Attention by The Smile, consists of Radiohead’s Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood and Son’s Of Kemet drummer Tom Skinner. A relatively new release which Paul put me on to and said I think you will like it! Well, I like it... a lot! If you are a Radiohead, I am sure you will enjoy The Smile’s debut album. Comprised of two original members and being mixed by Nigel Godrich, A Light For Attracting Attention could easily be mistaken for another Radiohead record. For some reason, Radiohead was never on my radar until now! I know I’m going about this back-to-front, but having now listened to The Bends and knowing there's so much more to explore, the journey has just begun!

A Light For Attracting Attention channels Radiohead’s eclectic approach to songwriting and production whilst sounding new but familiar. It's fraught yet hopeful, full of compassion, flowing freely whilst challenging the listener. The sound design is epic, serving the song and further adding to the emotion that Yorke is so famous for being able to convey in his writing. With Neil Godrich steering the ship, you can rest assured that every sonic choice has been captured and presented with excellent attention to detail.

One of my favourites from the album is Free In The Knowledge. A slow burner which pulls on your emotions from the very beginning. Sonically stunning, a dreamy soundscape is created for Yorke’s direct vocals to cut through. Although melancholic, the lyrics are relatable and deliver an optimistic message that we are “Free in the knowledge that one day this will end, Free in the knowledge everything is change.” The song is gently pushed on at the three-minute mark when the drums kick in, supported by a beautiful string arrangement. However, it is not all slow-paced. I feel the rest of the album offers something for everyone as it explores different genres and themes, keeping you engaged with an element of surprise. Give it a spin if you are unfamiliar! Billy