+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Hi-Fi Show Live 2022 (September 10th-11th) anyone going?

I'm Adrian.

Default UK Hi-Fi Show Live 2022 (September 10th-11th) anyone going?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone on here was going on Saturday or Sunday. I am staying at a friends near Dorking for several days and we are both going to see what is on offer, it is at least 30 years since I have been to a hi-fi show so will be interesting(possibly).
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Bloody awkward place to get to.

Doesn't seem to say on the site how much the tickets are?

Yes it will be interesting, you can marvel at the very average sound from equipment that costs telephone numbers

No just kidding if it was closer to me then I'd go along for sure.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Bloody awkward place to get to.

Doesn't seem to say on the site how much the tickets are?

Yes it will be interesting, you can marvel at the very average sound from equipment that costs telephone numbers

No just kidding if it was closer to me then I'd go along for sure.
    Tickets £20 for one day £30 for both plus £3.49 booking fee. I suppose they hold it in the South East as it is likely to capture more of the affluent, not that I include myself in that bracket.

It will as you say be interesting to here some eye-watering priced systems and see how they hold up to my hatch patch, if a system does not get my foot tapping in 2 minutes or sounds muddled I will move on quickly.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm openingabottleofwine.

It's been years since I attended a Hi-Fi show. The last time a few AoS'ers met up (including Marco, who kindly bought a round of drinks for us ) to compare notes on what we had seen and heard.

Shows such as these are not the best places to actually listen to gear, as the acoustics of the venue are usually quite poor. Good demonstrations try to do something to ameliorate things, but in general it's best just to get an idea of what's new and available and then, if interested, go to a dealer for a proper demonstration.

In the past I have often come away with a feeling of disappointment with my own system - until I get home only to find that it is perfectly good enough for my tastes in music and requirements.

And there are always stalls there selling 'audiophile' recordings.

But no, I shan't be going - I can't afford to be seduced!
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's been years since I attended a Hi-Fi show. The last time a few AoS'ers met up (including Marco, who kindly bought a round of drinks for us ) to compare notes on what we had seen and heard.

Shows such as these are not the best places to actually listen to gear, as the acoustics of the venue are usually quite poor. Good demonstrations try to do something to ameliorate things, but in general it's best just to get an idea of what's new and available and then, if interested, go to a dealer for a proper demonstration.

In the past I have often come away with a feeling of disappointment with my own system - until I get home only to find that it is perfectly good enough for my tastes in music and requirements.

And there are always stalls there selling 'audiophile' recordings.

But no, I shan't be going - I can't afford to be seduced!
    Yes agree with all that, but will be nice to see and hear the bling. My friend is thinking of changing his speakers so is going for an initial listen and then will move onto demos and home trials.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Tickets £20 for one day £30 for both plus £3.49 booking fee. I suppose they hold it in the South East as it is likely to capture more of the affluent, not that I include myself in that bracket.

It will as you say be interesting to here some eye-watering priced systems and see how they hold up to my hatch patch, if a system does not get my foot tapping in 2 minutes or sounds muddled I will move on quickly.
    That's why I like the Northwest show as it's free entry. Having to pay to be sold to is a bit much. Having said that it's still a cheap day out for twenty notes,

Actually this year it was pretty good, only a couple of systems were stinkers, rest ranged from acceptable to very good. Although with some of the set ups just one of the power cables cost more than I paid for my whole system. It takes some getting your head around that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's why I like the Northwest show as it's free entry. Having to pay to be sold to is a bit much. Having said that it's still a cheap day out for twenty notes,

Actually this year it was pretty good, only a couple of systems were stinkers, rest ranged from acceptable to very good. Although with some of the set ups just one of the power cables cost more than I paid for my whole system. It takes some getting your head around that.
    This takes some getting my head around:

My motorbike is in mint condition, engine and cycle parts all present and correct. If you can afford the fuel it is ready to take you anywhere in the world no problem.

Current value for all this about £3.5k, about one tenth the cost of this bit of wire.

I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dave.

A fool and his money.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    This takes some getting my head around:

My motorbike is in mint condition, engine and cycle parts all present and correct. If you can afford the fuel it is ready to take you anywhere in the world no problem.

Current value for all this about £3.5k, about one tenth the cost of this bit of wire.

Steve, I am surprised that you have succumbed to such expensive phoo, but then I you were always a sucker for a nice bit of cable.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Steve, I am surprised that you have succumbed to such expensive phoo, but then I you were always a sucker for a nice bit of cable.
    That was a bloody waste of money, turned out to be six inches too short So now it's hanging up in my dungeon - makes a very nice though rather expensive whip.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast