+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 45 RPM Audiophile

I'm James.

Default 45 RPM Audiophile

For anyone interested in vinyl record releases I have attached a link to a great Vinyl record reviewer who can be found on Youtube under the name "45 RPM Audiophile". Michael Ludwigs posts prolifically about all things Vinyl, new releases and up coming releases and gives a valuable insight into the quality of the recording and production.

I have recently purchased one of his recommendations which is the Bernie Grundman remasted 2016 Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here and it is absolutely superb. As Michael commented it is very very close to the original 1975 release and I have to agree.

This weekend he has a streaming session with Bernie Grundman, Chad Kassem and Ryan K. Smith which looks to be very interesting certainly from a Vinyl record mastering and production point of view.

So if you are into Vinyl check him out. I feel he is one of the best reviewers on Youtube and he does give a very honest opinion if he feels a record really is worth purchasing. He covers a very wide range of artists so there will be something there for everyone. I particularly liked his reviews of Kraftwerk releases as he has a great insight into this band and there albums.

https://www.youtube.com/c/45RPMAudiophile
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I note it's likely this was remastered from hi res digital files, not that I think there's necessarily anything wrong with that!

Anyway, thanks for the info mate, have subscribed and also bought a copy to try.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Steve.

Cheers James, I'll be sure to check that out. I'll be interested in what he has to say about various Kraftwerk records. I don't know where to start with them. I had a cassette of Autobahn in the mid 70s, and nothing since. Shouldn't be hard to improve on that.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I note it's likely this was remastered from hi res digital files, not that I think there's necessarily anything wrong with that!

Anyway, thanks for the info mate, have subscribed and also bought a copy to try.
    Absolutely correct Ali, it was mastered from a Hi rez digital file taken from the master tape but Bernie Grundman is superb at this work and the copy i have pressed at Optimal Europe is superb. Look for BG in the dead wax to make sure it is the Grundman mastered issue.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Thanks, will do.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm James.

He has done a few videos on Kraftwerks records and very interesting to hear what he said about Radio Activity, he certainly did not mince his words on the reissue!

I have original copies of Computer World and Man machine that still sound fantastic. Not only are they very dynamic and great sounding they have that slightly rough edge to them that gives you an insight into the synths they were using at the time. The remaster versions that have subsequently come out and done by Kraftwerk themselves I feel have lost some of the immediacy and great sounds Kraftwerk had in their earlier stuff. They sound too smooth and polished as it were. I think this comes across in one of his videos.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Thanks, will do.
    I have found to my cost Ali that it so important to get the right remaster as so many of them are very badly done. I bought a copy of DSOTM a few years back which was a reissue and it was as flat as a pancake and totally lifeless!

I am not concerned if digital is used in the process as some of my best sounding vinyl comes from a digital source. However ironically I have found a lot more problems with digital played back through a digital system!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes agree, I have some great sounding vinyl from a digital source.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread