+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Record Cleaning (Ohhhh yes that old chestnut again)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A University friend of mine, who was, let's say, a little on the stout side, used to clean his LPs by wiping them across his jumper-clad mid-drift!

Me - I just use a Brillo pad.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I did that Kickstarter thing for the Vinylsonic RCM. Only info I've seen is "Estimated delivery December 2022". My main concern is that if it turns out I've been diddled, Mrs. P will batter me to a pulp - she wasn't happy about it from day one. That's my Christmas present that is
    You can loan my RMC mate, i'll bring it round in a box and pretend i'm from DHL, your missus will be non the wiser and you will dodge a trip to A&E

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Ken.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    You can loan my RMC mate, i'll bring it round in a box and pretend i'm from DHL, your missus will be non the wiser and you will dodge a trip to A&E
    Kind offer Mike, but that kind of deception can easily snowball... Imagine you turned up in your DHL outfit (which by the way suits you so much better than that nurse's uniform): All goes well until the actual item finally arrives. Then I have two RCMs. So then I have to say it must be a cock up on their part and I should return it. "Sod that," she will say, "I'm putting it on Ebay!" So then you have to be the winning bidder, funded by me.

Then at a later date, when you come over to evaluate the merits of my latest stylus guard, she will recognise you. "Why have you become pally with your DHL bloke? Is there something you're not telling me?" That's what you get for being more handsome than yer average delivery bloke...

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but i find honesty is the simplest route. And if that shows me to be a bit thick, well, she knew that already
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adrian.

Kind offer Mike, but that kind of deception can easily snowball... Imagine you turned up in your DHL outfit (which by the way suits you so much better than that nurse's uniform): All goes well until the actual item finally arrives. Then I have two RCMs. So then I have to say it must be a cock up on their part and I should return it. "Sod that," she will say, "I'm putting it on Ebay!" So then you have to be the winning bidder, funded by me.

Then at a later date, when you come over to evaluate the merits of my latest stylus guard, she will recognise you. "Why have you become pally with your DHL bloke? Is there something you're not telling me?" That's what you get for being more handsome than yer average delivery bloke...

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but i find honesty is the simplest route. And if that shows me to be a bit thick, well, she knew that already
    Why not get Mike to pop over dressed up as Santa with the RCM, then you can tell SWMBO its was on your Christmas list to Santa. If she tells you to send it back then you can say you can't, or not at least until Santa comes back next year. Ho Ho Ho.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Why not get Mike to pop over dressed up as Santa with the RCM, then you can tell SWMBO its was on your Christmas list to Santa. If she tells you to send it back then you can say you can't, or not at least until Santa comes back next year. Ho Ho Ho.
    You're a dastardly bunch at AoS, I wouldn't get these kind of "solutions" on my lampshade making forum
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Lawrence.

Ah, so I only pay if it becomes a thing. Nothing upfront. Sounds like a good thing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    You only pay if the project meets the funding goal, which it has.
    You may, or may not get a product at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Yep, but you'll only be charged if you do.
    Think there was a bit of confusion back then about how this crowdfunding lark works. Cagey seems to have been right. Don't think I'll be jumping on any soon...

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

I wasn't aware of that campaign; but, I don't always keep my ear to the ground.

Late to the party as usual but here's the road I'm on...

I took the plunge on an (inexpensive) ultrasonic RCM (tank + motor) for Christmas (Vevor). Money well spent IMHO. To get the same results without it was a very long process. Whereas I used to clean 10 records in a week, I can now clean that many in a few hours. With the right cleaning formula, this thing cuts through just about any muck that can get on a record without manual labor, huge plus. I still do a final rinse in the Spin Clean (distilled water only) and let them air dry. (A vacuum RCM would likely be a great replacement for the Spin Clean in this scenario.) I could be completely lazy. The major drawback (which really isn't one) is that the ultrasonic is so fast that I can't bugger off and go fart around doing other stuff because every ten minutes it's time to switch records. Additionally I'm having to buy inner sleeves more often. Quite happy so far but only two months in and 150~ super clean LPs. Time will tell.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

As a follow up, I am still using and quite satisfied with the ultrasonic cleaning method.

Today a came home with 100-150 45's. (At a quick glance, there were some good ones in the stack, so at a bulk price I just went for it.) I rarely if ever buy 45's. Typically, I find, by virtue of their purpose, they tend to be in the wild without sleeves and dirty as all get out, if not trashed. Well shiver me timbers... the ultrasonic is making listenable spins out of the lion's share of these. Again, I am very, very impressed. I was hesitant about running the styrene 45's through; but, it is handling these well without damaging them. I have boxes of 45's but have not bothered with them because of their need for cleaning and the time it would previously take to accomplish that. This is a game changer. (I still prefer LP's by far; however, I wouldn't mind digitizing and making "45 compilations".)
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234