+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio streamer suggestions please...

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Audio streamer suggestions please...

Currently my entire music collection (ripped from CDs) is on my MacBook Pro. I stream it directly from there via my DSD USB to Coax converter into my DAC. Sounds absolutely stunning!

But I want to be able to free up the MacBook as I do countless other things with it, and having it connected to the DAC isn't always handy. So I need a streamer.

Requirements are...

1. It can read a music library from an internal drive or external drive/flash storage.

2. It has an app from which I can control playback.

3. USB or coaxial output.

4. DAC not required.

5. Not Raspberry Pi - I can't be bothered with one of those.

Suggest something please as the web is filled with a bewildering amount of product.

I'm Geoff.

Budget?

I'm John.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Budget?
    At the moment, about £350. It's literally only got to provide a digital signal so doesn't need to be a £64,000 dCS.

It will be for casual rather than critical listening.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Looks lovely! Maybe a bit later this year, touch out of my budget currently. House move and all.

I'm Andrew.

There are a couple of suggestions which you could look at

https://wiimhome.com/Overview

Above is quite basic but reading through (a brief skim only by me) it should do most if not all that you are asking .

Then a Bluesound Node 2 should be available used for about £350

You may also get a few others around that level but you would need to have a look for yourself . Marantz , Denon , Pioneer all made similar units and these go for about £200 used possibly even less .

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Thanks kindly. The Wiim doesn't have storage playback or digital output, but I'll dig through the other manufacturers you mentioned.

I did stumble across the Yamaha WXC-50. They seem to go for around £200 which is good. That'll do me for now I reckon.

I'm Gary.

I use a WXC-50, no complaints whatsoever and great value.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Dave.

As you have an MBP, why not replace that (say) with a SH Mac Mini? Would be quite easy to move all your music files over.

May not be what you want to do - but it is one solution. However note that some of the earlier Mac Minis don't necessarily work well with streaming services - so if you want those as well as your own collection that might not be a way to go.
    Dave

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I had considered the Mac mini as I've used several before (and I own a Mac consultancy for a living - I can do things with Macs that most people can't even dream about), but I'm not the only one who'll be using it, and I don't want to tie up the tele.

A straightforward all-in-one-box is what I'm really after.

Aside from the WXC-50, I saw the Pioneer N50a, but they're a bit tricky to find used - plenty of the N50 variant of course.

I think it may be the WXC-50. Hopefully they've improved the Musiccast app. I set one up a couple of years ago for a client and was not impressed with the app, although the Yamaha itself was very good. I think she had the WXA-50 which I'm guessing is pretty much the same bar the power amplifier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast