+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre amp recommendations

I'm John.

Trade the power amp in against a K3 integrated maybe?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Trade the power amp in against a K3 integrated maybe?
    I had tried to sell it but I felt I was losing too much, so decided to keep it, I'm guessing a trade in price wouldn't be that great.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    Evening, I'm asking for recommendations for a pre amp to go with my Roksan k3 power amp, I only need 2 inputs, one for my CD player and one for my server, a remote is a must for when I'm being lazy. I dont currently have the funds so its probably going to be next year. I dont really know what sort of money gets a good pre but I'd have no more than 1K, less would be preferred ta Jim
    Here's my recommendation. Can usually be found brand new for around 450 GBP or less.

Small, clean, simple and great sounding. Punches above its price point. And of course, it comes with a remote.

Preamp | Amplifier: Pass Labs XP-20 | Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks
    Analogue Sources: Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2
    DAC | Digital Sources: Auralic Altair G1 | JVC XL-Z411
    Speakers | Subwoofers: Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2
    Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio | Monster HTS 5000
    Cables: Wireworld | Pangea Audio | AudioQuest

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by cube-tube View Post
    Here's my recommendation. Can usually be found brand new for around 450 GBP or less.

Small, clean, simple and great sounding. Punches above its price point. And of course, it comes with a remote.

Thanks Charles, that looks a nice bit of kit, I'll have a look, thanks
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Phil.

great suggestion . there are quite a few good pre amps at the moment under 1k . puresound L10 valve on pfm at 850 a cambridge audio azur on pfm too
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Steve.

I am using a Schiit Freya with a K3 power amp and its pretty good. I am using it in balanced mode.

I'm Geoff.

All this talk of pre-amps reminds me that I have a VTL Deluxe that's been in storage for about twenty years and I might consider parting with it. It's a great sounding bit of kit, with a lovely MM phono stage.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

If an analogue pre is an option (i.e. no digital inputs), there is the Quad Artera Pre:
    https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/artera-pre/

I have one and it's the right fit for my setup.

Budget = £1,100ish (less with trade-in)
    Remote = Y
    EQ controls = Y (by way of "tilt" rather than conventional treb/bass options)
    Headphone out = Y (6.35mm jack; will drive 300/600ohm sets - Fanthorpes checked with Quad before I purchased)
    XLR options (in & out) = Y
    Phono stage = Y

Audio character: To me, the right balance between clarity and depth. Detailed but not brittle / overly bright; well reproduced bottom end but not muddy; mids neither too recessed or too forward - much will depend on the recording itself and other components in the chain &, I hesitate to say, cable choices.

Of course, YMMV.

Hope you find something that works for you.
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post
    If an analogue pre is an option (i.e. no digital inputs), there is the Quad Artera Pre:
    https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/artera-pre/

I have one and it's the right fit for my setup.

Budget = £1,100ish (less with trade-in)
    Remote = Y
    EQ controls = Y (by way of "tilt" rather than conventional treb/bass options)
    Headphone out = Y (6.35mm jack; will drive 300/600ohm sets - Fanthorpes checked with Quad before I purchased)
    XLR options (in & out) = Y
    Phono stage = Y

Audio character: To me, the right balance between clarity and depth. Detailed but not brittle / overly bright; well reproduced bottom end but not muddy; mids neither too recessed or too forward - much will depend on the recording itself and other components in the chain &, I hesitate to say, cable choices.

Of course, YMMV.

Hope you find something that works for you.
    I'm on the other side of the pond and have the same Quad Artera Pre. Love this thing! I agree 100% with what you said about the sound. However, I didn't recommend it because the OP wants to stay around £1000, preferably less if possible.

Just a side question, would you happen to have a thread about your system? I'd like to see another system out there with the Artera Pre. I haven't found a single one yet other than you.
    Preamp | Amplifier: Pass Labs XP-20 | Odyssey Stratos Monoblocks
    Analogue Sources: Nakamichi DR-1 | Technics SL-1700MK2
    DAC | Digital Sources: Auralic Altair G1 | JVC XL-Z411
    Speakers | Subwoofers: Magnepan 1.7i | SVS PB-1000 Pro x 2
    Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio | Monster HTS 5000
    Cables: Wireworld | Pangea Audio | AudioQuest

I'm Rob.

The Schiit Saga is another option. I use the original tube version in my second system. If I was buying one new, I'd probably get the cheaper "solid state" version. It's better than using an integrated as a pre-amp (I was using an AudioLab 8000S in this role before hand for example). It did everything I wanted it to do, and was as good sounding as the PS Audio Gain Cell that replaced it in my main system for a year or two. Saying that, the Townsend Allegri+ that now has pride of place is better again, but a lot more expensive and no remote (I'm surprised how little I miss it).

Rob.