+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre amp recommendations

I'm James.

Default Pre amp recommendations

Evening, I'm asking for recommendations for a pre amp to go with my Roksan k3 power amp, I only need 2 inputs, one for my CD player and one for my server, a remote is a must for when I'm being lazy. I dont currently have the funds so its probably going to be next year. I dont really know what sort of money gets a good pre but I'd have no more than 1K, less would be preferred ta Jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Kevin.

I am currently using a Topping Pre90 that I bought 2nd hand for €400.
    It does everything you need, and gets good reviews, so if you don’t mind a bit of ChiFi, why not try one.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm John.

I've been using a Roksan K2 Integrated as a power amp with a Tisbury Audio passive pre and I love it. It's tiny and only cost about £120. I wanted to try a passive pre out of interest, and didn't expect to stick with. I play turntable, cdp and dab radio, all with good sound.
    Last edited by JohnNB; 10-08-2022 at 17:50. Reason: wrong model amp quoted
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNB View Post
    I've been using a Roksan K2 Integrated as a power amp with a Tisbury Audio passive pre and I love it. It's tiny and only cost about £120. I wanted to try a passive pre out of interest, and didn't expect to stick with. I play turntable, cdp and dab radio, all with good sound.
    Does it have remote?
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I am currently using a Topping Pre90 that I bought 2nd hand for €400.
    It does everything you need, and gets good reviews, so if you don’t mind a bit of ChiFi, why not try one.
    I dont mind buying Chinese gear, thanks for reply

I'm Kevin.

One point I need to bring to your attention is that it has two inputs, one is single ended, and the other is balanced.
    It is the same for the outputs. There is an input extender available, but I don't have one.
    I use the balanced out from my DAC and single ended from my phono stage to feed it, so it may not fit your needs.

They are £600 new.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm John.

No remote I'm afraid, but the Tisbury is probably the best value-for-money upgrade I've ever had.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm Lawrence.

+1 for tisbury (except the remote issue) my first "audiophile" upgrade was to use one with my Nad C370 and it was a good step up

I'm Steve.

For a low cost but very capable option I can recommend Myryad's Z40 headphone pre. It has 3 inputs, 2 headphone sockets and a pre out. Doesn't come with remote. but will work with Marantz remotes.

A few people on here are familiar with it and also rate it highly. Not being made any more, but there might be a few used examples about. Plenty of info online.

I have had one for about 3 years now and I think it's great VFM. I'm not not using it any time soon (using an integrated) so you are welcome to borrow it and its Marantz remote long(ish) term till you get sorted.

Edit: this is not a sales pitch, I will never sell it, oh no
    Last edited by Pigmy Pony; 11-08-2022 at 06:33.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm James.

Thanks for the replies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast