+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new amplifier - Luxman or maybe Quad... or something else?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Might be irrelevant but bloody good looking and fun. Who ever lusts after a plain black box with two knobs ?
    Me! Well OK, four knobs and four switches.

I also admire the minimalist aesthetics of the Croft integrated amplifier - truly a black box with two knobs.

In the words of the minimalist architect Mies van der Rohe: "The less is more".
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Might be irrelevant but bloody good looking and fun. Who ever lusts after a plain black box with two knobs ?
    Damn straight!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Me! Well OK, four knobs and four switches.

I also admire the minimalist aesthetics of the Croft integrated amplifier - truly a black box with two knobs.

In the words of the minimalist architect Mies van der Rohe: "The less is more".
    Not necessarily.

Take your car for example (though I don't know what you drive):

Did you tell the dealers you don't want air con, electric windows, cruise control, power steering? And did you ask that the dashboard looks more like a 60s Morris Minor? All these things we can (and did) manage without, but still nice to have.

The Luxman integrateds are a thing of beauty, especially with the unnecessary VU meters. Roy S, if you're out there show us a pic of yours That is something to lust after!
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Yes please!

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Dave.

I can see a place for the black box with a couple of knobs - most of my stock is that way but given a choice, who doesn't want meters and every control and facility you can get on the front ?

I'm Josie.

Still not cheap but this is something at a more sensible price...

Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Not necessarily.

Take your car for example (though I don't know what you drive):

Did you tell the dealers you don't want air con, electric windows, cruise control, power steering? And did you ask that the dashboard looks more like a 60s Morris Minor? All these things we can (and did) manage without, but still nice to have.

The Luxman integrateds are a thing of beauty, especially with the unnecessary VU meters. Roy S, if you're out there show us a pic of yours That is something to lust after!
    You are confusing aesthetics with facilities. I much prefer the clean simple lines of the Bauhaus school of architecture to that of Roccoco (late baroque), or my pet hate: Gothic.

As for my car (which is an Audi BTW), the exterior would look no different if there wasn't a car radio/CD player, sat-nav, power steering, cruise control, air-con, heated seats, remotely adjustable mirrors, etc. fitted. The only small difference to the exterior would be the presence of the proximity sensors. The dashpanel and driver controls are, however, a confusing plethora of knobs, switches, buttons, paddles and stalks.

Apropos the Luxman - I never said I didn't like it: indeed the styling is excellent, with the fit and finish of the very high standard that one associates with high-end Japanese products, such as Luxman, Accuphase and Yamaha, and to a very slightly lesser extent with Sony.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Well it wasn't me who quoted van der Rohe's "less is more" line.

I do get your appreciation of the Bauhaus design principles, minimalist, nothing there that doesn't need to be, and clean lines. Indeed the exterior of German cars have more than a hint of minimalist, hence your car choice I assume.

But while all the features you note do not affect the car's exterior, they do, almost without exception affect the appearance of the interior (which is what you have in your line of sight much more).

So I would argue that it can be the case with cars, more is more.

My aesthetic tastes may be harder to pin down, I can see beauty in both minimalist designs and ones more heavily featured. I love the look of the Luxman not because of its knob count, but because I think it's just a beautiful thing

I think my background of typography and graphic design has given me some appreciation of other aspects of design, but at the end of the day we like what we like, and for no logical reason.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

This last few days AoS has been "logging" me out at random times, and always during the composing of a long post. Did it just now. Maybe it's trying to tell me something...

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Grant.

do you tick the box to stay signed in? its below where you sign in
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast