Hi Everyone, This week's album, White Ladder, by singer-songwriter David Gray brings me straight back to my youth. We all have albums that manage to evoke feelings of nostalgia and can transport us back to a moment in time which is a wonderful thing!
White Ladder was David Gray's fourth album which gave him his breakthrough and became the 28th best-selling UK album of all time! The fact that it was, recorded in his bedroom adds to the charm and is a remarkable achievement. The entire album is an example of what can be - achieved on a small budget, with multiple obstacles in the way. White Ladder manages to overcome not only recording setbacks but David Grays's critics, alike-resulting in a timeless classic.

White Ladder is instantly believable. I think it's why it's so good, coming from a sincere place where everybody can relate. The best albums can do this, and with - White Ladder, you feel its vulnerability.

Creatively the album has a folk-inspired foundation within its songwriting and a blend of acoustic and electronic elements for its instrumentation. I believe this is also a contributing factor to its success. Combined production choices place it in its own league in terms of genre, therefore, standing out from the crowd both - creatively and stylistically.

The opening track Please Forgive Me is one of my favourites from the album. Somehow it manages to sound melancholic - but optimistic at the same time. The song is driven by a drum n bass style breakbeat which was programmed on a Roland Groovebox accompanied by an emotive chord progression played on the piano. A good example and use of electronic and acoustic instruments working in harmony. There's plenty of ear candy and catchy hooks to pick out, my favourite being the guitar riff that lifts the song in the latter half. The simple yet direct lyrics describe the difficulty of expressing your feelings towards a loved one. What better way to do it than to write a song? What's your favourite from the album? Billy