+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: St Lucia July 2022

I'm Geoff.

St Lucia reminds me of Montserrat before the volcanic eruption. Incredibly green and fertile due to the volcanic soils.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Neither have I. Las Vegas is 11 hours but change at Chicago, think they do a direct now from Heathrow though.

But the changeover is very quick you barely have time to get off one plane and get on the next one before it goes. With all the pissing about with customs and that it's about 23 hours from leaving the house to checking in at the hotel. Then a quick shower and hit the tables! Mind you I was a lot younger last time I went there.
    I've flown across the Atlantic three times and on each occasion there has been a refuelling stop.
    Barry

I'm sorted.

Most I've done is eight hours or so (to/from the Caribbean and to NY) and found that once you've immersed yourself in a couple of films, enjoyed the wonderful (and often weird combinations) of what passes for food (I've decided to plump for the veggie option next time, looked far better than the concoction I was served with) then the flight flew by (see what I did there?). I'll always go for the extra leg room seats if available though. The Dreamliner is a nice, quiet, comfortable airplane anyway but not sure how I feel about it being made of 'composite' rather than metal and the landings are always bloody awful.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Most I've done is eight hours or so (to/from the Caribbean and to NY) and found that once you've immersed yourself in a couple of films, enjoyed the wonderful (and often weird combinations) of what passes for food (I've decided to plump for the veggie option next time, looked far better than the concoction I was served with) then the flight flew by (see what I did there?). I'll always go for the extra leg room seats if available though. The Dreamliner is a nice, quiet, comfortable airplane anyway but not sure how I feel about it being made of 'composite' rather than metal and the landings are always bloody awful.
    I had the Fruitarian option one time, other passengers were jealous. Never seen it offered since though. Got a mate who always goes for the Kosher, not sure of his reasoning there since he's Church Of England.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I always think it looks a lot like North Wales, except for the palm trees and blue skies.
    I think the M6 through Staffs. and Cheshire have more tyres at the roadside. Usually in worse condition than the one in Roy's pic. Mrs. P counted 36 last time we came back from Stoke, which relieves the monotony, but as travel games go, I prefer "Dead or What".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    The amount of in-flight films on offer, as well as a bewildering choice of music available to listen to on modern air frames is more than enough to keep me entertained. Before I would just read a book, or sleep.

Regarding the in-flight food, well that depends on the carrier as to what is served; but most decent carriers the cabin staff will come round with a menu and a choice of options. Whatever I choose, I eat it all as I've paid for it, and there is rarely anything I don't like.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

The problem with airline food is not so much the quality of ingredients or the care that goes into preparation, it is the fact that our taste buds do not function in a pressurised cabin as they do at sea level. In my work I travelled regularly in business class and occasionally in first class. The quality of food in business and first class was much better than economy, but even with the best ingredients and careful preparation, the food still tasted somewhat bland. Airlines have invested a lot into research to improve our experience of in flight dining but cannot overcome the fundamental problem. I used to bring a frozen citrus smoothie on board until security concerns ended that option.

Drinking wine with the meal always helps!
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

G&T for me. Bit of a waste drinking fine wines as the complexities are masked.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Drinking wine with the meal always helps!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Jets may look normal, but everything is actually built upside down to avert this exact problem .
    Surely, Sir, you are joking? Aren't you?

Longest flight I can remember was Shanghai to LHR, though Bangkok to LHR and LHR to Beijing are also long. I actually can't remember if we did LA to Sydney without a stop - which is certainly possible nowadays. LHR to SF or LHR to LA can take varying times - even if done in one shot. Depending on the wind they may take 10 hours, but if the jet stream isn't helping then 12 hours might be needed. I thought LHR to Delhi was less time - but it's not a lot shorter. London to Havana is also quite a long flight.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast