+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Music.... Wow, why is it getting worse?

I'm Martin.

I meant the average amount of a new mortgage, i,e what people borrow at the start, not the average of what is still owed.

£29K here but that was 25 years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I meant the average amount of a new mortgage, i,e what people borrow at the start, not the average of what is still owed.

£29K here but that was 25 years ago.
    i nearly bought a house in late 70's. i bid about 6.6k and it went for nearly 7k. i guess my life would have panned out completly different if i had won. was a big old house that needed a bit of work but i could have done most of it myself. its worth a fair amount now i guess. ive no regrets tho;
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i nearly bought a house in late 70's. i bid about 6.6k and it went for nearly 7k. i guess my life would have panned out completly different if i had won. was a big old house that needed a bit of work but i could have done most of it myself. its worth a fair amount now i guess. ive no regrets tho;
    Mine was a little old house that needed a lot of work. And still does.

I did nearly buy a huge but slightly run down place. Big basement and three stories above. Massive rooms on all four levels. £45K.

Was going to let a few rooms out to cover the mortgage but I got cold feet. Bet its way over 300K now. Oh well.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Mine was a little old house that needed a lot of work. And still does.

I did nearly buy a huge but slightly run down place. Big basement and three stories above. Massive rooms on all four levels. £45K.

Was going to let a few rooms out to cover the mortgage but I got cold feet. Bet its way over 300K now. Oh well.
    yeah, a much as i was disappointed in not getting it, i was equally pleased and relieved not to be crucified by a mortgage for 25 yrs. hell i might have had to conform
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yeah, a much as i was disappointed in not getting it, i was equally pleased and relieved not to be crucified by a mortgage for 25 yrs. hell i might have had to conform
    That was my problem with it too but my plan was to pay it off in five years. It took nineteen and by then it was too late for me. But the mortgage payment was a lot cheaper than renting and now I live in it for free.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Dave.

I guess this might be where you [Mikeandvan] got your avatar from -

https://youtu.be/a2mdlxbuXz0

Currrently I'm wondering about the SQ on the set of Klemperer remastered CDs I just bought - as elsewhere a few people were enthusing about the set and the remastering.
    Maybe I've got rose tinted ears, but I'm not convinced.

I've not done an exhaustive evaluation yet - nothing like - but my first impressions are that things are a bit different - perhaps a bit harsh, and the Schubert 9th I listened to might have sounded better on the LP I still have tucked away in a cupboard.

Then again the harshness could be due to the recommended speakers I bought a few years ago - and yes - I did listen to them carefully before buying.
    Dave

I'm guy.

I think the differerence (across generations of chart music) is whether the artist/s is doing it for the love of the genre/style or doing for the love of fame/money/“celebrity” .

In my view, and i admit to being an old fart, currently the fame chasers are in the majority - time for a change or back to basics (content over “style”)

EDIT: This week the Quay street Wailers - bunch of “old buggers” will be singing at my local; I’m really looking forward to seeing/hearing them again
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tget6Y6FO4

If Ed Sheeran were to play there, i would give it a miss.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    I think the differerence (across generations of chart music) is whether the artist/s is doing it for the love of the genre/style or doing for the love of fame/money/“celebrity” .

In my view, and i admit to being an old fart, currently the fame chasers are in the majority - time for a change or back to basics (content over “style”)

EDIT: This week the Quay street Wailers - bunch of “old buggers” will be singing at my local; I’m really looking forward to seeing/hearing them again
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tget6Y6FO4

If Ed Sheeran were to play there, i would give it a miss.
    I've no interest in Sheeran either.

I think the money/fame thing has always been an incentive. Being in band got you noticed by women and there was always a chance that it might be a way out of a dead end job. Sure I have seen various Beatles saying that over the years, along with many others like Black Sabbath.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm guy.

Money fame are certainly an incentive, it’s just that I’m sure that the groups i enjoyed in my teens also had a love of music (although i may have been taken in ).
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Paul.

This thread reminds me of an article I wrote for a magazine about ten years ago :

When the music stops

There’s a line in Don McLean’s American Pie that has always rung true for me:

” …the day the music died …”

I always wondered what it meant, but after years of working with music, whether as a DJ, a writer or back in the day when I worked in record stores (remember them?) I think I’ve finally worked it out.
    Let me explain …
    If you’re of a certain age, you can probably remember the first record you ever bought. It might have been a 7″ single or perhaps an LP if it was your birthday and you’d received some gift tokens. Maybe it was on CD, cassette or even 8-track cartridge ?
    Whatever we’re talking about, most people can remember their first time, right ?
    Following that initial – probably embarrassing – purchase, most young people get into “their” music and before long they’re dressing in a way that reflects it, just so that everyone else knows who they are. It’s a classic way of identifying with a certain movement and lets people both fit in and stand out simultaneously.
    When I was a teenager, there were loads of “tribes” I could have joined: mods, rockers, teds, punks, skins, smoothies, townies, casuals, headbangers, hippies, goths, suedeheads, new romantics, rockabillies, psychobillies, soulboys, rudeboys/girls, dreads, etc … the list is almost endless once you start delving deeper into the individual sub-cultures and their nuanced differences. To the outsider’s untrained eye, there might not seem to be much difference between a ted, a rockabilly and a psychobilly, for example. Stop and speak to those individual people though, and they would tell you about the diversity between the three, whether it was musical, political, cultural or purely stylistic in nature.
    The whole point was you and others like you identified with something, and it was usually the music that led you there in the first place. Sadly, these days I think you can only really be a chav or emo: they don’t know what they’re missing …

While most of my classmates were into metal and classic rock, I’d been brought up in a house where jazz was the norm, so I naturally gravitated towards disco and funk. Kool and the Gang’s Something Special on tape was the first album I ever bought, while Madness’s One Step Beyond and ELO’s seminal double, Out Of The Blue, were the first two LPs I was given round about the same time. Kool and the Gang were taking their first steps into superstardom following years of cult credibility as a pioneering funk band; Madness were at the forefront of the multi-cultural ska revival which was sweeping the nation; ELO were moving away from their earlier glam, prog and classical influences and on to a more commercial, disco-tinged sound that proved highly successful for them.
    I still love all three albums today and have them in just about every format possible.

From there, I got into James Brown, Prince, David Bowie, The Beatles (who doesn’t), Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Chet Baker, Anita Baker (no relation!), Motown, reggae, Kraftwerk, hip hop, trip hop, house … and so on. Everything links to something and if you had the time and a very large piece of paper you could probably draw a diagram to show the various influences of one artist on another … all the while, they all influenced me and the person I am now.
    I’m sure you have a similar story to tell, though the music, the fashion and the details would be different. For me, it’s an ongoing process, and I’m discovering both new and old artists all the time. I’ve got “pockets” of music I missed, like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, The Who and – shamefully – the Rolling Stones, who I really didn’t get round to listening to till I was in my thirties. I know of one bloke (and it had to be a bloke) who only listens to Gary Numan. He doesn’t own any other music. Not even similar artists. I’ll run that by you again:
    Just. Gary. Numan.

And this is what I’m getting at … do you still listen ? Do you still try new music ?
    Do you go to gigs ? Do you explore YouTube, watch Later and attend festivals ?
    Or are you still listening to the music of your youth, like many people ?
    What was the last album you bought ? Do you still buy music ?
    Are all your CDs from the 20th century ?

Did the music stop for you ?

There’s nothing wrong with this: I’m not criticising and I’m not saying one type of person is better than the other. I’ve got loads of friends and acquaintances who are stuck in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s, who never move on, musically. Similarly, I’ve had people come up to me at parties and demand songs from a decade, as if that’s the be all and end all … what if I only played the worst of the 60s ? The smallest hits of the 70s ? The one hit wonders of the 80s ?
    What then ? Would it still be good music, just because it came out when that person’s “musical personality” was being created ?
    I find the subject fascinating and have had loads of completely futile arguments and totally silly conversations about this. Some people talk about “old skool” when referring to house music from the 90s; others talk about third generation covers of sixties classics as if they’re on a par with Mozart.
    I know it’s all subjective. I know it’s all opinion. That’s what’s great about music (and everything else, of course). It makes us what we are.

But I’m trying to find out why ?
    Did The Who die the day Keith Moon did ? What about Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd ?
    Why did you stop listening to Morrissey after he left The Smiths ? Or what about when Dave Gahan suddenly got serious ? Or when U2 “sold out” ? What about Bowie: did you like Let’s Dance or give up with him after Scary Monsters ? Maybe you never liked any of the Berlin trilogy anyway, so consider Station To Station his last great album ? Prince lost it when he left Warner Bros, right ? Once everyone else got into Jeff Buckley, you stopped liking him. Same with Nick Drake. How about The Sweet ? Best band ever, or a shadow of T-Rex ? Roxy Music were better than both of them put together, anyway. 90s ? I don’t listen to anything after 1988. There’s not been any decent music since downloads started getting in the charts. These days you only need to sell about 5000 copies to get to number 1 anyway. Not like in my day when you had to sell a million records and being on TOTP could make or break an artist.
    Where do you stand with it all ?
    I can see both sides of some of the arguments, I agree completely with a few and laugh in the face of others and treat them with the disdain they deserve. Remember: there’s no such thing as bad music. If someone likes it enough to buy it, there’s value in there somewhere.

I’ll leave you with a joke:
    Q: How many soul fans does it take to change a lightbulb ?
    A: 6. 1 to change it and 5 to stand around muttering “It’s never as good as the original”
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast