+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greetings with my first post.

I'm Heinz.

Default Greetings with my first post.

Hello at Art of sound. My first post. It is always this tension to tell a lot but on the other hand to keep it clear. I do not want to digress. Today 63 years old I was a fan of playback from an early age. Grown up in the province in the west of Germany. From the age of 4 I could have crawled into our kitchen radio. It was a tube set. Music, radio plays, children's shows. Years later, when it was replaced by a transistor radio, I was very sad. Something of the homely sound was gone. Of course, I didn't know why at the time. But in retrospect, what shaped my listening experience: tube technology, full range speakers without crossovers and a half-open cabinet because the back panel of the radio was made of pressed cardboard with lots of small holes so the heat from the tubes could escape. Aren't there some principles described that some people still favor or at least accept today? Only that at that time there was no thought of high end but it was built that way because it was built that way. At least in the domestic consumer market. Of course there were already elsewhere in the world e.g. Klipsch, Quad McIntosh or the BBC. But far away from a little boy 60 km east of Dortmund.
    In 1968 my father bought his first stereo set. A Sansui 300 receiver with Sansui SP10 speakers. I still have it today and after restoration of the receiver it still runs very well. The first sounds I heard with it were a radio show with "Switched on Bach" by (at that time) Walter Carlos. You can imagine what an experience that was for a 9 year old. For the first time in his life he heard stereo and that with the first recording of a Moog synthesizer.
    I have to abbreviate now. Dad's system 1972 Sansui QR 6500 receiver with SP2500 speakers in front. 1975 my first homemade bass horns and midrange horns together with a buddy. He could do the math (xovers, horn opening etc) and I helped with everything else, including my ears.
    On the other hand, at the end of the 70's I heard for the first time big Tannoys, Klipschorns and a BC1. Of course, impressions of other speakers came later. But...amazing how formative certain early "sounds" can be for a lifetime. 1980s, Quad 33/405 with Tannoy HPD295, late 1980s Quad 34/306 with Rogers Studio 1a. Mid 1990s Audiolab 8000A with Spendor SP2/2. Then switch to tubes, Croft Micro with Leak Stereo 20 and AN/J speakers. Then Quad II with Klipsch LaScala and Quad ESL This Klipsch Lascala 1977 I still have today and even restored original. In 2000 came Tannoy Canterbury which a little later were successfully operated with EAR 864 and McIntosh MC2102. Since 2003 with Mcintosh C22CE with MC 275 Mk4.
    In 2008 I got Klipsch Underground Jubilee, the only ones so far in Germany, together with Yamaha SP2060 DSP/XO. Since 2016 I listen to Stirling Broadcast LS 3/6 mainly. It sounds crazy but these speakers remind me most of my first radio experiences at 4 + years old. And something else slightly crazy. I've been listening to the SB LS3/6 with Mcintosh gear since 2016, it sounds very good. In January this year I bought used old Quad 34 and 306 for fun and nostalgia out of curiosity because I had it 35 years ago. After replacing all electrolytic capacitors and listening to it together with Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 in March for fun I have not changed anything. More music, less so-called high end. Seriously, the Quad 34/306 together with the SB LS3/6 are like a small acoustic happiness for me. So much or so little to me first of all.

All the best, Heinz from Cologne, Germany.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Heinz,

Nice introduction. Your formative years in audio are similar to mine - listening to radio via the family radiogram (made by Philips): valve technology, wooden cabinet with the "perforated cardboard back" and a 15cm speaker. Mono of course.

And like you, as a teenager became exposed to 'hi fi' reproduction. Went through home built speakers and a valve amplifier, with a Garrard turntable, before discovering Quad equipment and electrostatic speakers.

What are your tastes in music?

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Rob.

Hello Heinz. What a great opening post. My mother was a radio fanatic and being just a little older than you I have many nostalgic memories of listening to all kinds of radio programmes whilst growing up. We also had a large HMV radiogram on which I played my first vinyl purchases in the mid 60s.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Heinz. Welcome to AOS.

Your formative audio history is interesting and similar to that of many of us I think.

Take a look around the site, there's a lot going on and join in any chat that interests you. Everybody here is friendly!

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Heinz.

Thank you for the warm welcome. My musical taste is focused on jazz, rock jazz and also classical music. When it comes to jazz, I love music from the 1960s very much but also everything up to contemporary. It's very nice to see that younger musicians are also emerging and that jazz lives on, so that I can see young musicians emerging next to the historical pianists like Red Garland or Bill Evans and next to the established contemporary ones like Brad Mehldau. I have to say that in a way I really like a modern mainstream in the tradition of Cool, Hardbob etc., but also its further development. World music or things like that are not really my taste. But to each his own. Long live the diversity of tastes.
    Some music evolves very well, others I love more when the recordings come from their own time. I play a bit of guitar myself and I was in several bands from the late 70s to the 90s. The music we made was very different from what I mainly listen to today. Our playing was oriented to the music of Billy Cobham, Larry Carlton, Brecker Brothers etc.. Please don't misunderstand these were only orientations, we ourselves were not really good
    But that's what I meant above, e.g. the playing and music of Billy Cobham or Steve Gadd is unique and it often sounds boring when other musicians try to copy it today. But fortunately there are some who try and play something new again.

In classical music it is quite similar I think. It is a safe bank to listen to Alfred Brendel, Sviatoslav Richter or Murray Perahia. It's just that I find it very exciting to discover new generations. The same goes for all instruments and in my case also for conductors. In this context I think that modern streaming is beneficial, I use Tidal hifi and MQA.

The text above I wrote just to give a first impression about my musical taste. Of course, the Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd and Steely Dan may not be missing. But I think that also in this case my story is not very exceptional and not too few have made and still make similar experiences.

Well, that was a general all-around, and I think such a nice forum as this (I've only been reading here for a while) will provide interesting opportunities to exchange ideas about one topic or another in the appropriate sections and I promise that my "normal" posts outside the first performance in the welcome section will be shorter and more digestible😀. By the way, I'm not really a social media guy and only in three other forums, Pinkfishmedia, not frequently, Klipsch Forum since 2006 under the name KT88 frequently and Talkmorgan Forum also frequently since 2009 as Heinz.

I'm Grant.

welcome heinz.. i hope you enjoy joining in the forum..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Hey...

AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread