+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with tonearm please

I'm Shaun.

Default Help with tonearm please

I sat down to listen to a few vinyl records a few days ago only to find that I have a left hand signal only. As far as I know nothing has happened to anything to bring this about since I bought the turntable earlier this year so I'm guessing that moving it so many miles may have set this in motion. The arm is a Clearaudio Unify unipivot with very exposed tonearm wires. If this needs rewiring can anyone recommend a guy/gal who can do it ? If it is too costly I may well replace the arm with a non unipivot. Cartridge is an Audio Technica ATOC-9 XML. Current phono stage is a (temporary) Pro-Ject Phonobox SE.

Thanks in advance you lot.

I'm Pete.

Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging phono leads?

Checked wires are connected to cartridge?

I'm Shaun.

Thank you Pete, the Clearaudio phono plugs are a weird design which obviously require very regular plugging/unplugging. All sorted, very grateful.

I'm Shaun.

OK so maybe not sorted after all. It turned out that the ProJect Phonobox DS has now packed up on the right channel all together. Because I want to know what it sounds like I have just bought a Musical Fidelity LX2 - LPS phono stage. I just need to connect it up and give it a spin.

I'm Pete.

Hope that is not a problem common to the DS range - I use a DS+

Let us know how well you get on with the Musical Fidelity LX2 - LPS

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by losepete View Post
    Hope that is not a problem common to the DS range - I use a DS+
    Probably not. Most problems of the type described are due to signal continuity and just checking connections is often enough
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Using my original copy of Brand X's 'Moroccan Roll' I am surprised and slightly disappointed by the LX2 - LPS phono stage.

In my system the LX2 lacks the very low bass extension of the Phonobox but overtakes it when it comes to 'space' and 'air'. The amount of space in the recording with the LX2 is amazing in comparison. The separation or isolation of instruments is also way better than the Phonobox leaving the only disappointment the low bass extension.

The LX2 - LPS cost me 200 quid new so in my opinion (for what it's worth) it is a bargain. The unit quality is good, it is well made and looks stylish whilst being weighty and solid.

Thinking about it ? Go on, buy it.

I'm Pete.

Thanks for the review, definitely bare it in mind for if my DS+ packs up.

+ Reply to Thread