+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Store F6 Amplifier

I'm Glen.

Default DIY Store F6 Amplifier

Hi Everyone,

So I don't know exactly where to place this cost wise. I asked for some opinions on the Drawing Board thread and they were very helpful. The figure 'bandied' about was around the £600 mark. I don't know whether that's right or not, so I'll start this off at £550.00. I'm very much open to serious offers though, as my daughter is getting married and I could do with generating some funds. I'm also looking at going down another route for now.

I built this with all new components in March 2021. It's pretty much stock apart from some upgraded Elna caps and some other parts with a closer tolerance than supplied. The transformer is an 'Audiophile' grade (whatever that means) 400VA, from the good guys at Toroidy. It's 25 watts in to 8 ohms, pure Class A. Nelson Pass is an absolute genius and this is such a simple but effective circuit. No doubt you'll be familiar with it, maybe more so than me! You can read all about it here. I've biased it at 600mV and it runs well within it's capabilities. It gets warm.. (it's Class A) but never so much that I can't bear my hand on it.

Quite honestly, it hasn't missed a single beat since I built it. I mean, literally, it hasn't made any 'magic smoke,' thumped, coughed or farted for one second. It's been totally rock solid. A couple of the images below are from when I was building it, the others are from yesterday. I don't have a box for it, so collection would be necessary. I'm not far from Sheffield. It won't be supplied with a mains lead either, as I use one I made with some Supra cable. But it's a standard IEC. It's single ended and has WBT style banana plugs.

If you have any questions at all, then please feel free to ask and I'll do my best.

Thanks for looking.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Beautiful build quality - well done Glen. I have the greatest of respect for Nelson Pass and his designs.

If it was a pair of monoblocks and had balanced inputs, I would be tempted myself.

Good luck with the sale.
    Barry

I'm Glen.

Thank you Barry. It’s my very first attempt at building an amp, so that’s quite a compliment. Appreciate that mate.

I'm Nigel.

Very nice build, Glen. I don’t think this will be about too long, you would struggle to get the parts required to build this at the asking price. I love my F6, it really is a cracking amp. The chassis and the power supply can be used on a number of other DIY audio amps, the transformer is also top notch.

Good luck with the sale.

I'm Chris.

If I didn't have three valve amps I would be very interested. GLWTS
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Very nice build, Glen. I don’t think this will be about too long, you would struggle to get the parts required to build this at the asking price. I love my F6, it really is a cracking amp. The chassis and the power supply can be used on a number of other DIY audio amps, the transformer is also top notch.

Good luck with the sale.
    Thanks Nigel appreciate the comments

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    If I didn't have three valve amps I would be very interested. GLWTS
    No worries, thanks Chris.. (you could always sell one of the valve amps )

I'm Glen.

A little nudge for August. Is this priced fairly do you think?

I'm Phil.

very fairly priced indeed . its a bargain .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Glen.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    very fairly priced indeed . its a bargain .
    Ah, ok. Thanks Phil, you never know with this type of amp. Just wanted to make sure.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast