+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't You Believe It

I'm Stephen.

Default Don't You Believe It

I felt compelled to pen this post after an email conversation earlier today with Scott Nangle (what a nice man - https://snvinyl.co.uk/)- I had just bought a new stylus and cartridge from him. The conversation inevitably included cartridge/arm matching etc. Anyway, he sent me a tongue in cheek link to the Vertere Reference Tonearm Gen III at a mere £43,899 No, that's not a mistype a whisker short of £44K.

That was shock enough but what intrigued me and got me thinking was the blurb that accompanied said advert opining that the tonearm was the single most important component of vinyl playback. It got me thinking because I know I have read/heard contrary opinions so I did a very quick Google for some quotes. Bear in mind these are from well respected people in the industry.

1. Our Philosophy – No matter how good your turntable, the crucial link is still the tonearm.’– Vertere
    Vertere Reference Tonearm Gen III £43,899.00

2. Maybe it's best to draw an analogy that is easy to relate to. Certain critical parts of the design of a race car will allow it to stay on the track - to allow the driver to not fly off the road - mainly, the tires, and suspension.* THAT is the cartridge in your analog system. It is KEY. In an analog system, the cartridge does MOST of the heavy lifting - it does the nearly impossible task of retrieving physical information from the groove and converting it into precisely perfect electrical signals. A waveform NOT picked up by the cartridge will not be "re-created" by a great arm or table, electronics and speakers. It will be lost at the beginning of the process.*

Peter Ledermann - Soundsmith

3. We get many calls and emails from folk asking how much importance they should place upon the phono amp in their system? *The answer is of course, no matter how good your turntable, arm and cartridge combination is, the tiny signal from a low/medium output coil is open to corruption simply because of the vulnerability of such a small signal voltage. Add to this the EQ and gain needed to amplify the signal while reproducing an extremely flat frequency response above line level and you can understand how difficult it is to maintain your cartridges signal integrity.

Tom Evans - TEAD

4. The turntable itself is the most important since it drives the record, houses the motor, bearing housing, and can affect the suspension and isolation the turntable has from external movements.

Linn (Audio Genesis)

So there you have it - or rather you don't. In 2022 there is still fundamental disagreement among respected experts about the relative importance of TT/arm/cartridge/phono stage. It is not lost on me that the opinions reflect the particular manufacturers product line - OK not entirely so with Linn but their TT's are way more expensive than their arms and cartridges.

Anyway, I just find it a little dispiriting that there is such disagreement which suggests nobody actually knows. Who/what to believe?

My HiFi journey started during the LP12/Naim 32.5/HiCap/250/Kann era so I bought into (and still do) the TT first, tonearm second and cartridge third hierarchy and (I think) it has served me well.

YMMV so interested to read what others think - or maybe it really has been done to death

Caveat Emptor
    Last edited by worrasf; 25-07-2022 at 17:37.
    Always a little further

I'm Grant.

'experts' each say their discipline is most important... well they would say that
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

As far as I'm concerned the cartridge (and choice of stylus profile) and arm are equally important in 'reading' the record groove.

All the turntable has to do is rotate at a constant rpm with both low low-frequency variation ('wow) and low high-frequency ('flutter') variation. The bearing should be good enough so that 'rumble' is sufficiently low. The latter depends on the way the turntable is mounted in it's plinth; but it's not "back magic". More or less any turntable as used by professional broadcasters or in the quality monitoring suites of record makers are good enough (e.g. EMT, Thorens TD124/II, Technics SP10; though I would regard Gates TTs, as used by some broadcasters, as not being really suitable).

I never bought into the Linn philosophy - especially after hearing their Isobarik speakers, which I regard as being the worse speakers I have ever heard.
    Last edited by Barry; 25-07-2022 at 17:29.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

It's important to distinguish between experts and salesmen.

Sometimes (but mostly not) the salesman is an expert, but he's still first and foremost selling something.

I'd argue that with a vinyl replay system every component is critical and can probably be improved on in some way.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I'd argue that with a vinyl replay system every component is critical and can probably be improved on in some way.

I have to agree with Macca.

I'm Steve.

I reckon it's the vinyl itself. The best set up in the world can't make a silk purse... And if the black shiny discs are pressed on crappy old equipment that's not been properly looked after, and worked by folk who may not have been born during vinyl's heyday, what can you expect?

There will be exceptions of course, plenty of them, but for the most part it's a gamble with increasingly large amounts of your hard earned.

The bloke from Soundsmith uses a pretty good analogy, which I would expand further: All the money spent on suspension and tyres will be wasted if the racetrack is littered with potholes, gravel and cowshit.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

The whole business of vinyl replay is so ridden with compromises and distortion, it's a miracle that it sounds as good as it does. A large part for this is because despite the RSS of all the distortion mechanisms being 10 - 12%, it almost entirely second harmonic, which the ear finds euphonic.
    Barry

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I never bought into the Linn philosophy - especially after hearing their Isobarik speakers, which I regard as being the worse speakers I have ever heard.
    Yes, and no. The Kans were the worst I ever heard, the Bricks came a close second.

Never herd the Linn Kans, but I'm not surprised you found them Krap.
    Barry

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

Its like everything in life; there's always for and against, claim and counter-claim; it makes me wonder if you can ever really get to the truth!!!!! One thing I do agree with though is, the saying used by Linn back in the days when I first got into Hi-Fi, and that is: GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

Translated, that means, if you send Garbage into an amplifier, you will get amplified Garbage coming out and, in turn, that is sent to the speakers so, you get to hear Garbage !!!!

THE SIGNAL SOURCE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STARTING POINT!!!!!!
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast