+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cd/dvd player suggestions

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is there still a demand for 'universal' players? I don't know anybody who uses Blu-Ray.
    I still have (and use) a universal disc player - Sony UHP-H1. It plays Blu-ray / DVD / SACD (dig or analogue out) / CD.

A fair number of "deluxe" releases where physical formats are amongst the options have Blu-ray discs to variously accommodate high-res LPCM audio and "extras". Floyd / Marillion / Steven Wilson come to mind fairly readily.

Case in point is the forthcoming release packages for Floyd's "Animals" (2018 remix) which includes a standalone Blu-ray as an option. Also, a remix of Marillion's "Holidays In Eden" is scheduled for release in Sept 2022 and the "deluxe" version has a Blu-ray (in addition to 3x CDs) which contains a fair chunk of material not otherwise going to be available - including audio/visual content.

I hope physical releases are forthcoming for a while longer but it's notable that some bands / artists are starting to release packages in such a way as to steer people towards electronic consumption - Porcupine Tree's "Closure / Continuation" is arguably in this category. If you want the bonus tracks, the options are either to pay £50+ for a box set or download the files at a less hefty price point from an official site such as Qobuz - the standard CD doesn't contain the bonus tracks.

I do not look forward to the day when most of the music I want is only available via streaming and/or download files. Once again, record companies are in control and not in a good way.

Happy listening all.
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Colin.

I am looking to reduce boxes effectively. New tv arriving and intend using Freesat built in so lose the Freesat box and we do occasionally stick a dvd on so if I can get a quality universal that played cd very well and use for dvd it removes the dvd only player. I still like to stick a cd in and have many off them. So in effect losing box numbers is the aim but still want a decent DVD player

I'm Colin.

One of these looks great Sony DVP-S9000ES.
    One in add looks like it needs a bit tlc but something like this would be considered but think I will end up down Oppo route

I'm Peter.

Default One of these?

I have been using a Denon DVD multi format player (not Blue Ray) and I'm really pleased with the audio performance.
    Mine is quite old now but one of these may suit? It's not mine or anyone I know.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115460686...3ABFBMprzB8clg
    1984 was a warning - Not an instruction manual

I like (things) in brackets

I'm Colin.

I was looking at some denon DVD players . There are some nice transport dvds but connectivity is very limited. But watching the one you sent and a dvd 2900

Thanks

Colin

I'm Colin.

So been looking at an awful lot of DVD/Bluray units .Amazed at how much oppo units are selling for. Anyway I wondered if anyone has experience of the Sony UBP-X800M2. Rather than buy a unit thats 10 - 12 years old for ,in many cases, the same price or less I can purchase this . What I wondered is has anyone any experience of sound quality from using CD s through it. HDMI connection to the tv and I can use a coax to the amp for audio duties?

Colin

I'm Colin.

just wondering if this should go to the AV section now?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin2040 View Post
    So been looking at an awful lot of DVD/Bluray units .Amazed at how much oppo units are selling for. Anyway I wondered if anyone has experience of the Sony UBP-X800M2. Rather than buy a unit thats 10 - 12 years old for ,in many cases, the same price or less I can purchase this . What I wondered is has anyone any experience of sound quality from using CD s through it. HDMI connection to the tv and I can use a coax to the amp for audio duties?

Colin
    It will be fine for CD, the only reservation I'd have is the noise from the transport. Don't know if it is noisy or not but some BD players have a lot of mechanical noise, to the extent that you can hear them grinding away in quiet bits.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Barry.

One problem I found with the Sony UBP-X800M2 as a cd player was the lack of display on the unit. If that is important to you.

I'm Colin.

Thanks I had read that a few Blu-ray don’t provide any listing but that wouldn’t be a huge issue, it’s just a slightly simpler route if I can use one unit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12