+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bloke Buys Entire Contents Of Hi-Fi Shop

I'm Martin.

Default Bloke Buys Entire Contents Of Hi-Fi Shop

Some interesting vintage kit, start at 2 mins 20 if you want to skip the pointless pre-amble.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Anybody who uses a hair straightener on his beard is suspect in my opinion!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The only items, that would interest me is the Tektronix 'scope in Room 2, and the Mark Levinson ML28 and Quad 33/303s in Room 3.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

It's annoying that he skips over looking at the speakers. Although in fairness there doesn't seem to be any of real interest.

I would like that Carver carousel CD player.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Scott.

https://shopjustaudio.com/collection.../sony-str-6036

Their vintage gear is super cheap

Only $600 for an old 13w per channel Sony receiver! 👍🏻

I'm Martin.

people want that old stuff now and who wouldn't prefer it when modern equipment is either bland or bling?
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    people want that old stuff now and who wouldn't prefer it when modern equipment is either bland or bling?
    I love old equipment too, but $600 for 13w/channel receiver is just bonkers. Even if it has been meticulously restored.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    I love old equipment too, but $600 for 13w/channel receiver is just bonkers. Even if it has been meticulously restored.
    dollar per watt it's nuts I agree but if I only needed 13 watts I'd pay the extra for it over some little modern chip amp. Just for the looks, pleasure of ownership, pleasure of use.

I mean it's about 400 quid or so, if it's really minty and up to spec it's not that much in this day and age. They're not making any more of them.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    dollar per watt it's nuts I agree but if I only needed 13 watts I'd pay the extra for it over some little modern chip amp. Just for the looks, pleasure of ownership, pleasure of use.

I mean it's about 400 quid or so, if it's really minty and up to spec it's not that much in this day and age. They're not making any more of them.

If I remember correctly from Sony catalogues I’ve seen I’m pretty sure it was a fairly low spec receiver, more mid-fi than hi-fi.

For £400 you can do a hell of a lot better.

I had a 6800SD for a short while which was TOTL receiver in the late seventies which was a bit of a disappointment sound wise.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    If I remember correctly from Sony catalogues I’ve seen I’m pretty sure it was a fairly low spec receiver.
    It was a budget model, may have been bottom of the range. Still nice quality though, fairly sure I had a couple of them from boot sales in the eighties. I've probably still got the original Sony catalogue. I was more interested in Harman Kardon and Luxman receivers at the time.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread