+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted Dab fm tuner.

I'm Michael.

Default Wanted Dab fm tuner.

Looking fo a dab / fm tuner. Only need for occasional use in a conservatory. Maybe a Denon or similar. Would also need to be cosmetically good as on show. Located N/E uk..

I'm Dave.

I think you can pick up some nice ones quite cheaply off eBay. Maybe someone round here has one or two to sell. Every so often I think of hooking mine back in to the system - so I'm not rushing to sell - but I think you can get a decent FM tuner for £50 or less, and if you watch you can spot good DAB/FM ones at reasonable prices.

Have you got aerials installed? These things don't really give very good results without a good aerial - though you can get adequate results with a "kitchen" radio.
    Dave

I'm Michael.

Yes, I have a good aerial already, in fact I have great sounding Sansui but it keeps losing its presets memory and has to be retuned, hence my looking for a replacement.

I'm Dave.

Do you find DAB sounds OK or better than FM where you are? I thought that DAB sounded better than FM, but I have heard poor quality DAB, and I have also heard FM sound better - but under ideal conditions. My FM tuner is a JVC TX55 - but doesn't have DAB - but sounds great when set up well. The DAB/FM is a Sony high end 777ES.

Have noticed some quality issues in this area up in the frozen wastes recently. I suspect that even the low DAB bit rates have gone down recently so most of my radio listening is now done online. Depends what you listen to, and how much "quality" you want.

Is your Sansui fixable? Might be the best option if you can get that done.
    Dave

I'm Michael.

Not certain if the Sansii is fixable. We have good reception in our area so usually leave it on DAB. I use the FM for football, our local radio does one team on fm and the other on dab. Getting too long in the tooth to change now. Can’t understand the loss of presets, works fine for weeks then defaults to one station. ( Smooth) must be a soft wear issue.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegreenwood View Post
    Not certain if the Sansii is fixable. We have good reception in our area so usually leave it on DAB. I use the FM for football, our local radio does one team on fm and the other on dab. Getting too long in the tooth to change now. Can’t understand the loss of presets, works fine for weeks then defaults to one station. ( Smooth) must be a soft wear issue.
    I have a similar issue (sadly) with a Logitech internet radio. It's otherwise really good, but hopeless with the presets. I suspect there's either a battery which isn't obvious, or maybe some capacitors which charge up which are losing charge.

I bet your Sansui has a battery like a small hearing aid or clock battery which doesn't feature highly in the user manual - but it's only a hunch.

Of course DAB quality is not only a matter of signal reception, but also the quality of the encoding by the broadcasters. My feeling is that that has taken a dive round here for stations I want to listen to.

OTOH you could try buying a new one - I think the newer ones will do the latest DAB standards - even though the major broadcasters are still using the original basic DAB spec.
    Dave

I'm Roger.

I'm Peter.

I have two DAB tuners for sale. A Videologic and a Pure (they look the same) I think they both have remote controls as well.
    Can't remember if they have FM (I'll look it up when I go upstairs, they are in the spare room).
    One works as it should, on the other the display is faulty but it receives DAB OK.
    They are not going to be expensive, around £25 to £30 plus post.
    If they are of any interest I'll send photos etc. Let me know.

They are:
    Videologic DRX-601E fully working with remote. £35 plus post.
    Pure DRX-701ES with remote, recieves stations and outputs to amp but the display is hard to read, with poor contrast. £25 plus post.
    Both are DAB only.
    Last edited by majex45; 22-07-2022 at 17:25.
    1984 was a warning - Not an instruction manual

I like (things) in brackets

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I have a similar issue (sadly) with a Logitech internet radio. It's otherwise really good, but hopeless with the presets. I suspect there's either a battery which isn't obvious, or maybe some capacitors which charge up which are losing charge.

I bet your Sansui has a battery like a small hearing aid or clock battery which doesn't feature highly in the user manual - but it's only a hunch.

Of course DAB quality is not only a matter of signal reception, but also the quality of the encoding by the broadcasters. My feeling is that that has taken a dive round here for stations I want to listen to.

OTOH you could try buying a new one - I think the newer ones will do the latest DAB standards - even though the major broadcasters are still using the original basic DAB spec.
    I'm pretty sure my old Pure radio is missing a fair few Dab+ stations so I'd definitely got for a Dab+ compatible tuner if it was me.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I'm pretty sure my old Pure radio is missing a fair few Dab+ stations so I'd definitely got for a Dab+ compatible tuner if it was me.
    Are there many DAB+ (or similar) stations in the UK? If so, whether they are of interest would depend on the content. Most likely they wouldn't interest me anyway, but others might have an interest. If I were to look for a new DAB or similar radio I'd probably check that out - but that's also unlikely now given the near ubiquitous streaming etc.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast