+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Car and Bike Chat

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Oh sorry about your Vito problems Steve

I’ve always thought that Merc’s engine’s & gearboxes are excellent but questionable elsewhere recently. Old Merc’s like my W124 were pretty good all round but that’s a long time ago

Bit of a muddle up at Honda so test riding the Rebel in the morning
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

That’s a shame Geoff. Hope you can get it sorted ok

Had a puncture yesterday at Virginia Water, first one for near on 25-30 years and the space saver looks like a 2CV wheel!

Got tyre repaired at Toyota today which took them a long time to discover & fix…. turns out that the screw that was stuck in it wasn’t the problem
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Had the car serviced and MOT'd today. £320 - running a car these days is becoming expensive.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Oh sorry about your Vito problems Steve

I’ve always thought that Merc’s engine’s & gearboxes are excellent but questionable elsewhere recently. Old Merc’s like my W124 were pretty good all round but that’s a long time ago

Bit of a muddle up at Honda so test riding the Rebel in the morning
    Weather a bit better suited to riding than it was seven days ago. Enjoy!

Yes, the engine and (auto) gearbox on my Vito is great, it's just the rest of it

Mrs. P says to me "Look at the state of it, you don't deserve anything nice". Thing is, each time it lets me down, a bit more shine goes off the apple, and the less inclined I am to get the polishing rags out. Also, I have been having a bit of trouble with spatial awareness, and the Vito is reaping the benefits.

No wonder she won't let me near the Volvo...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

That’s such a pain Steve. I did consider replacing the Prius with another Merc as I do love them but reading the reliability index thingy they really don’t come out too good, whereas Toyota’s are near the top reliability wise so I’ll probably just get another newer Prius

Just rode the Rebel Rebel and instantly fell in love with it… what a hoot and much more powerful than I imagined it would be

I’ve ordered one but delivery is now December
    Bev

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    ... whereas Toyota’s are near the top reliability wise so I’ll probably just get another newer Prius.
    I assume that you ordered a bike, not a car.

Re the Toyotas - which would you go for? I had a Prius - loved it until it "died" - or became unrealistic to repair. Would you even consider an EV or a plug-in hybrid?

Actually it looks as though the Prius range is no longer available as new in the UK - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius

In the US government funded support has been withdrawn for some of Toyota's cars.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/electric-h...194422192.html

Apparently there will be a new Prius from 2024 - https://topelectricsuv.com/news/toyo...-coupe-hybrid/ - though not sure when or if that will arrive in the UK.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

still enjoying my hyundai ev... its not the most desirable car in world by looks but it does its job very well. ie gets me out and has a scooter in boot can go fairly quickly too if you wish it too, but also has a good range
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    still enjoying my hyundai ev... its not the most desirable car in world by looks but it does its job very well. ie gets me out and has a scooter in boot can go fairly quickly too if you wish it too, but also has a good range
    Glad it's working out for you. Most of us don't need cars which have to go more than 200 miles on a tankful or charge, so EVs do seem to be the way to go. One argument against the plug-in hybrids is the extra weight of having motors, an ICE and a battery pack, but if the alternative is to just stick with ICEs - then that's not good, and perpetuates the damage caused by fossil fuel burning. Not having to drive to a garage to fill up is also a plus point - sometimes overlooked.

That's why I'm totally against that advertising ploy of "self charging hybrid". What part of "still an ICE burning fossil fuels" don't the advertisers and people who follow them understand. The Prius would have fitted into that category - and indeed we had one. It was a great car at the time - but the world has moved on. New variants - either plug-in or EV would be welcome, but not the original. Some of the plug-in models were compromised by having too big a battery under the back seat and an inflexible layout - so maybe the Prius body shell is just not adaptable for a good solution of plug-in hybrid. Some of the "green credentials" - even of companies like Toyota - are done cynically so that they can sell other gas guzzling motors - depending on the jurisdictions in which they operate.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

i still think the 2030 timetable will slide back a bit, if not completely back..the main polluters of the world couldn't care less and a couple of % if that worldwide will seem too easy to just forget it until the usa, china, india, australia etc start behaving like it matters.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Glad it's working out for you. Most of us don't need cars which have to go more than 200 miles on a tankful or charge, so EVs do seem to be the way to go. One argument against the plug-in hybrids is the extra weight of having motors, an ICE and a battery pack, but if the alternative is to just stick with ICEs - then that's not good, and perpetuates the damage caused by fossil fuel burning. Not having to drive to a garage to fill up is also a plus point - sometimes overlooked.

That's why I'm totally against that advertising ploy of "self charging hybrid". What part of "still an ICE burning fossil fuels" don't the advertisers and people who follow them understand. The Prius would have fitted into that category - and indeed we had one. It was a great car at the time - but the world has moved on. New variants - either plug-in or EV would be welcome, but not the original. Some of the plug-in models were compromised by having too big a battery under the back seat and an inflexible layout - so maybe the Prius body shell is just not adaptable for a good solution of plug-in hybrid. Some of the "green credentials" - even of companies like Toyota - are done cynically so that they can sell other gas guzzling motors - depending on the jurisdictions in which they operate.
    its nice and convienient to charge at home, and a lot cheaper than petrol, even though i charge at full whack domestic cost as i don't do sufficient miles to make it viable to get an ev rate.
    whether overall an ev is helping planet is debatable currently; certainly not at my mileage. but i wouldn't now want to go back to ice now even tho i was sceptical at first.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast