+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Car and Bike Chat

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    my mother went there for her first covid jab.

Think I might have been there back in the 1970s but not sure why.
    When I was “on the buses” some of the routes went by Whiston I think, and maybe Rainford and Prescot.
    Last edited by dave2010; 14-09-2022 at 13:24.
    Dave

I'm Dave.

Are most new cars sold in the UK now automatic?
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Are most new cars sold in the UK now automatic?
    I think last year 54% were autos . First time I think.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Robin.

Spending a couple of hours at Audi Glasgow, while the car is serviced
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

Had son at hospital and got pretty decent mileage.
    Gotta go out again in pm too.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I think last year 54% were autos . First time I think.
    Don't EVs count as automatic? That would contribute to the increase significantly.

Until 2 years ago I had never driven an auto. Now my van and the car are both autos. I would never go back to a manual. Anyway, Mrs. P's Morton's Neuroma and a plastic bone replacing one of her toes, makes not needing to use left foot a big deal nowadays.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Don't EVs count as automatic? That would contribute to the increase significantly.

Until 2 years ago I had never driven an auto. Now my van and the car are both autos. I would never go back to a manual. Anyway, Mrs. P's Morton's Neuroma and a plastic bone replacing one of her toes, makes not needing to use left foot a big deal nowadays.
    i think evs technically dont have a gearbox. just a motor that goes forwards and backwards depending on voltage.. but i would agree it should be deemed an auto as a cvt is
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i think evs technically dont have a gearbox. just a motor that goes forwards and backwards depending on voltage.. but i would agree it should be deemed an auto as a cvt is
    I have driven automatics on and off now for not quite half a century. I can’t understand why anyone would not want to drive an automatic car, or alternatively, why anyone would want to drive a stick shift car. However, we do still have one, but it hardly gets used. The EVs we have effectively only have a fixed ratio drive train, though some really fast EVs do also have an automatic gearbox. There is no real need for a gearbox for cars up to 100 mph.

What is really good about some EVs is the regenerative braking, which with very slight practice make one foot driving very simple. I don’t actually see why the same techniques can’t be applied even to ICE hybrids. Not all EVs are as good in this respect though. The Tesla Model 3 is good, the Renault ZOe somewhat less so.

Recently I’ve been driving a Toyota C-HR automatic, which is quite nice, and making me wonder whether I should buy one, or something similar (perhaps preferably a plug-in hybrid), and re-establish my green credentials by having air source heat pumps installed at home instead of the oil boiler, and using the money from the sale of my Tesla Model 3 for that. Yes - it’s not quite as quiet as a full EV, but it’s quite easy to drive. However, the sat nav is about the crappiest I’ve ever come across, far worse that the one in our earlier Toyota Prius. Re crappiness, a fairly recent article in the Guardian suggested that I’m not the only person to think that Tesla’s customer service is about as shitty (or at least as non-existent) as it’s possible to get.
    Last edited by dave2010; 13-09-2022 at 19:10.
    Dave

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    I have driven automatics on and off now for not quit half a century. I can’t understand why anyone would not want to drive an automatic car, or alternatively, why anyone would want to drive a stick shift car. However, we do still have one, but it hardly gets used. The EVs we have effectively only have a fixed ratio drive train, though some really fast EVs do also have an automatic gearbox. There is no real need for a gearbox for cars up to 100 mph.

What is really good about some EVs is the regenerative braking, which with very slight practice make one foot driving very simple. I don’t actually see why the same techniques can’t be applied even to ICE hybrids. Not all EVs are as good in this respect though. The Tesla Model 3 is good, the Renault ZOe somewhat less so.

Recently I’ve been driving a Toyota C-HR automatic, which is quite nice, and making me wonder whether I should buy one, or something similar (perhaps preferably a plug-in hybrid), and re-establish my green credentials by having air source heat pumps installed at home instead of the oil boiler, and using the money from the sale of my Tesla Model 3 for that. Yes - it’s not quite asc quiet as a full EV, but it’s quit easy to drive. However, the sat nav is about the crappiest I’ve ever come across, far worse that the one I’m our earlier Toyota Prius. Re crappiness, a fairly recent article in the Guardian suggested that I’m not the only person to think that Tesla’s customer service is about as shitty (or at least as non-existent) as it’s possible to get.

the ch-r is a cvt, or was... as im sure you know.. yes its a great motor to drive and has decent fuel economy. i got 53/ 63 depending on weather etc. good on snow too.
    ive driven autos too for about 50 yrs.. in fact i learned to drive initially in a 3.5l v8 rover 3 gear auto.. lol
    Last edited by struth; 13-09-2022 at 17:37.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Dave.

Here is John Naughton’s article in the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ervice-centres
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast