+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding record in and out to a passive preamp

I'm gerald.

Default Adding record in and out to a passive preamp

Anyone got any ideas how I can add a record in and out to my passive pre amp ?
    I have a reel to reel cassette player and a minidisc I have picked up a Sony SB300 so i can connect the three items but my passive pre does not have a record in and out .
    Cheers Gerry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The Sony SB300 will do both the input and record output selection.

http://www.wiredwood.co.uk/wordpress...lector-sb-300/

Connect the unit in front of your passive pre.
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Beresford do a range of options-

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/selector-phono.htm
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Lawrence.

Assuming you don't need to record and listen to different sources at the same time, I think in theory record in is just the source you select and record out can come off the source selector in parallel with the potentiometer to some RCAs. If you have spare inputs you could rewire one pair from the source selector inputs to the outputs.

I'm not sure about things like the signal going in the wrong direction, resistors, buffers etc so someone with more knowledge than me could comment. I think low impedance outputs and high impedance inputs in the tape recorder sort any issues.

I'm gerald.

Sorry the switch boxes a Sony SB-500it has three inputs for recording the on the amplifier side has a line in and line out

I'm gerald.

Sorry the switch boxes a Sony SB-500it has three inputs for recording the on the amplifier side has a line in and line out .I have a a passive preamp converted to just a switch box as it had four inputs and two sets of out .so wondering it if I could connect the SB-500 output to one of the outputs and the input to one of the spare inputs on the switch box ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Does your switch box look like this:

with the connections as shown here?

Connect the sources (which I assume are at line level, say 500mV) to the various "Tape" inputs, and the "Amplifier line in" to your passive preamp. Use the 'Monitor' controls to select either of the tape inputs (setting the toggle switch to "Source").
    Barry

I'm gerald.

Cheers Barry I will try that method out.

I'm Charlie.

The issue you have is that you only have one lineout i.e. the output to the power amp. A tape loop include an extra input and OUTPUT. The output is the record out on a tape loop.
    If it’s just for recording (and you can monitor on headphones as opposed to speakers), you can just use any line input and feed out to the line out for the power amp.
    R2R: Studer A820 1/2 inch 2 track; Otari MTR-12 1/4 inch 2 track; Sony APR 5003; Sony APR 5002; Studer A807/II. Vinyl: Platine Verdier Allaerts MC1B/Schroeder Reference & Model 2 Decca C4E/Hadcock 228 TRON Seven Reference phono. Keith Monks MkII RCM Other analogue source: Nakamichi Dragon with ANT4066 mods. Amplification: TRON Meteor preamp TRON Voyager 20B SET power. Speakers: Avantgarde Duo. Digital: computing at last with Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D converter

I'm Alan.

In a passive pre you have a set of input sockets and an input selector switch.
    The output from the input selector switch goes to a Potentiometer or stepped attenuator the out from that to a set of output sockets
    Take another set of wires from the selector switch output and take them directly to a new set of output sockets, this second set goes directly to your R2R input, the output from your R2R can go back into one of the source selector sockets.
    This will give you full line level input to your R2R so if you are recording from a DAC or a CD player you will be getting approx +4db / 320nWb/m level if your recorders can handle this input level you will get a very clean recording
    older tape loops had buffers and attenuation but just sound dull IMHO
    Alternatively just do what I do and plug the output of the DAC/CD/Phono directly into the R2R input for the best recordings

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast