+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantum Science fuses.

I'm Lawrence.

I think the equivalent argument here would not be do you hate marmite but do you like the taste of water. Some will claim it has no taste while others will have a favourite mineral water.

Having said that you can test that the water contains minerals and, if you think minerals have a taste, then you know it tastes different, whereas the argument here is that there's no difference other than psychoacoustic.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    I think the equivalent argument here would not be do you hate marmite but do you like the taste of water. Some will claim it has no taste while others will have a favourite mineral water.

Having said that you can test that the water contains minerals and, if you think minerals have a taste, then you know it tastes different, whereas the argument here is that there's no difference other than psychoacoustic.
    most minerals in general have no real taste but they can affect your perceptions on taste re the mouthfeel you get.. ie hard v soft water etc.. its this mouthfeel you like or dislike. but minerals like magnesium can alter the way coffee tastes in a brew so they do have affects on taste too, just not really by themselves.
    PS, some can taste acidic but not many your likely to get in water.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I must admit that I’ve been totally agnostic about fuses but reading some of the comments just shows that you seem to have closed minds. I asked the question to try to get an intelligent answer. Clearly none of you guys have actually tried an after market fuse.
    I have tried an 'after market' fuse. I think it was an AMR device, given to me at one of the audio shows I attended a few years ago.

I put it in the plug top supplying the preamp, which is on 24/7. To my ears it made no difference to the sound of my system; and I gave it plenty of time to 'burn in'.

I also tried cryo-cooling the fuse with liquid nitrogen; which some think can make a difference. Again no difference.

So don't accuse me of having a closed mind - I would be more interested in your own findings.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Has anyone started selling audiophile versions of the trip switches in fuse boxes? If mains fuses can have an impact I imagine these could too
    I believe Russ Andrews sells such. I'm awaiting for an audiophile electricity meter, followed by solid silver cabling back to the substation.
    Barry

I'm Gary.

Clive,
    Currently use SR fuses in my amps and CD Transport.
    Moved up tbe range and noticed differences every time.

Notice I say 'differences' and not improvement?

Never got on with fhe SR Blue fuse in any of the kit I tried them in.
    Too hifi sounding imo, all flash and no substance.

This could imply that maybe I DID hear differences (and noticable ones) and wasnt trapped in an improvement loop that only existed in my head.

Well, technically it DOES,
    But you know what I mean.

Equipment dependant too,
    But cleaner power is an improvement, just that (of course) its all relative.
    And keep tbe fuse spending kit appropriate as well.

If you have good transparent kit (not neccesarrily expensive) then I would keep recommending them anytime tbe question comes around.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Clive,
    Currently use SR fuses in my amps and CD Transport.
    Moved up tbe range and noticed differences every time.

Notice I say 'differences' and not improvement?
    Gary, I think I agree with you re diffences against improvements but I have found that the soundstage has widened with the fuse installed.

I have installed on advise a yellow Quantum Science Audio fuse into the main wall plug that powers my IsoTek Orion power strip which has all my HiFi kit connected. I have a month or so to confirm or to give the fuse back.

I also try for good housekeeping in that there are no switch-mode power supplies on the Orion which is plugged into a non-switched wall socket.

As I’ve said before, I’m very agnostic on tweeks in general as I’ve had very mixed results over the years.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Kevin.

Have you tried turning the fuse around? Apparently, they are directional.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Kevin.

What I don’t understand about them is that they have nickel plated brass contacts. So you pay all this money for an audiophile product, that have quantum tunnelling procedures applied to it, with graphene etc. which is all connected to nickel plated brass?
    You give with one hand and take away with the other?

Do they also carry the appropriate safety ratings?
    The last dealer I asked never answered my question about the relevant safety standards.
    Kevin

I'm Kevin.

And before you tar me the “narrow minded” brush, I had an upgraded fuse in my upgraded Caiman SEG.
    I don’t think it made any difference, having swapped backwards and forwards between a standard fuse.

I guess a fuse can make a difference on a straight bit of wire, but what happens when your electrons meet a capacitor?
    Are the “flow” characteristics still altered as per the Mexican wave description on the SR website?
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post

Do they also carry the appropriate safety ratings?
    The last dealer I asked never answered my question about the relevant safety standards.
    Are they even marked as conforming to BS 1362? And do they follow the accepted current /rupture time profile for such fuses?

BS 1362, the British Standard for plug fuses, specifies a maximum power dissipation of one watt when carrying the rated current. The actual current, where a BS 1362 fuse will blow, is about 1.66 times the rated value, so for a 13A fuse this will be 21.6A.

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast