+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Quantum Science fuses.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    That is one point I struggle with. How can a PSU fuse on a turntable improve the sound?
    It is not in the audio chain.
    neither is the fuse in a mains plug. There is no credible technical explanation for how these fuses can make a difference when used anywhere, so there's not much point asking that question.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

Surely, if these 'super-fuses do enhance the SQ, by implication the lesser ordinary ones must introduce some form of signal modulation, which I find hard to believe.

I'm Steve.

There is a posh fuse for sale for just 25 bones, so I initially thought it might be worth a punt. But... it is only rated 1A. I've no idea where something like that could go in my kit. Everything seems to be 3A and above (and as some have said may be pointless), and God knows what they would be inside the components. Can't find any info.

If I didn't know better I'd swear the manufacturers are trying to dissuade users from dicking around with their products. And these things come in a variety of fuse ratings AND sizes. Minefield.

I was curious, but not so curious that I'd risk throwing away the price of a shiny new piece of vinyl. And probably break my stereo.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Clive.

Silly me, I thought the discussion was about 13amp fuses that go in UK plugs……. So can’t see how that would upset, damage a vinyl record.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Silly me, I thought the discussion was about 13amp fuses that go in UK plugs……. So can’t see how that would upset, damage a vinyl record.
    Eh?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Turntable power supply:

Less electrical noise on incoming AC to power supply (which reducing the 'choke point' impact by improving the fuse would do) would benefit the TT motor in terms of speed regulation, as well as less noise injected into the playback chain generally.

Howzat?

Thinking of the fuse as part of the electrical system of the equipment:
    Who all here uses aftermarket power cables to power their gear?

Assuming it made an improvement in your system?
    Why do you think that is?

Ive said this a lot in the past,
    Less noise on the AC feeding your kit improves the sound.

Its all about reducing the impact of electrical noise feeding your system.
    Many things can affect this, incoming AC supply, cables and yes, fuses.

Its being open to acthally TRYING things in your system, that you can decide for yourself if you can improve your system.
    Thats part of the fun of the hobby for me, and who doesnt want their favourite music to sound better?

Thats my take.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I don't think the discussion was about 13A fuses, anyway I don't think any of my kit uses ones rated at 13A. Maybe my kettle does

And I never suggested that I could damage a record by changing fuses - rather that my £25 that fuse would cost could buy me a new album.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Turntable power supply:

Less electrical noise on incoming AC to power supply (which reducing the 'choke point' impact by improving the fuse would do) would benefit the TT motor in terms of speed regulation, as well as less noise injected into the playback chain generally.

Howzat?

Thinking of the fuse as part of the electrical system of the equipment:
    Who all here uses aftermarket power cables to power their gear?

Assuming it made an improvement in your system?
    Why do you think that is?

Ive said this a lot in the past,
    Less noise on the AC feeding your kit improves the sound.

Its all about reducing the impact of electrical noise feeding your system.
    Many things can affect this, incoming AC supply, cables and yes, fuses.

Its being open to acthally TRYING things in your system, that you can decide for yourself if you can improve your system.
    Thats part of the fun of the hobby for me, and who doesnt want their favourite music to sound better?

Thats my take.
    I do, but I make them myself rather than pay the absurd prices charged.

Fuses don't act as "choke points" any more than say switch contacts or the contact points between a plug and socket. All they do is increase the line resistance slightly (which in the case of a BS1362 13A fuse, will be no more than 6 mOhm).
    Last edited by Barry; 14-08-2022 at 13:40. Reason: spelling
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's not a reliable method since just like when you put the fuse in, you know that you have taken it out and you can't 'forget' that, plus since you just made a change you are listening differently to normal, again the same as when you put the fuse in.

Like I said if it fixes a problem then that's different, but on a system with no problems it's very hard, I think impossible, to accurately verify the effect of tweaks like these fuses.

All said and done if someone is still thinking there is a possibility of a better sound go ahead and try them and report your subjective findings here.
    Well it works for me - and in most cases the 'improvement' I heard was imaginary. Only on a very few occasions has changing an item (a power amplifier) lead to an immediate improvement, which was lost upon returning to the status quo.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It is not in the audio chain.
    In the '70s some American high power amplifiers had fuses fitted in their speaker outputs for protection against short circuits.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast