+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantum Science fuses.

I'm Geoff.

What would make a mains fuse directional?

(the ideal question to ask if you want to be booted out of a degree course in electronics perhaps)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And unless the fuses are marked and conform to BS1362, and a fault occurs which damages your gear, your household contents insurance will be invalid.
    I get around that problem by not having household contents insurance.

Although all my fuses do conform to BS1362 and I don't use any mains-related gubbins anyway. My system's already too transparent.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

mine became so transparent it vanished
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What would make a mains fuse directional?

(the ideal question to ask if you want to be booted out of a degree course in electronics perhaps)
    If the mains plug is used in a wall socket, the fuse will be vertical so gravity will help the electrons move more easily.
    Barry

I'm Clive.

I started this thread a month ago with my tongue firmly in my cheek. My conclusion is that to those who’ve tried a aftermarket fuse seem mainly for them and those who haven’t to a man are against them. That tells me quite a lot about people not high-end fuses but hay…….
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Grant.

from an old thread here by member
    YNWaN.

(hypothetical) Furutech marketing department Q&A

Q: Are the pins of your plugs made from copper?
    A: Yes
    Q: Are they pure copper, like my cables?
    A: No, they are a copper alloy
    Q: What does that mean exactly?
    A: It means copper is mixed with one (or more) metals to produce an alloy
    Q: What other metal is the copper mixed with to make this alloy?
    A: Zinc
    Q: Is this alloy of copper and zinc known by any generic name?
    Q: Oh, what is that then?
    A: Brass
    Q: So the pins are brass, an alloy of copper and zinc......?
    Q: But aren't all household plugs made using brass pins?
    A: Yes......but ours are rhodium plated
    Q: Oh right, does that make them more conductive than copper alone then?
    A: No, rhodium is less conductive than copper
    Q: Sorry, why do it then?
    A: It's shiny

End of Q&A
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I started this thread a month ago with my tongue firmly in my cheek. My conclusion is that to those who’ve tried a aftermarket fuse seem mainly for them and those who haven’t to a man are against them. That tells me quite a lot about people not high-end fuses but hay…….
    I've not tried them but I'm not against them. I just don't try stuff that has no explanation for how it works since it's a slippery slope to get on.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

We’re all different.
    Any fuse discussion can bring about a ‘pile on’ to the OP, nice to see its not the case here.

My take?
    If your a bit of a tweaker, and curious enough to try one to see if it improves things…why not?
    Fine.
    If your set in your ‘how could a fuse possibly’ way…
    also fine.

No-one is forcing anything on anyone.
    Clive’s original question was a good one,
    Think he got the answer he was looking for.

For me?
    As a tight Scotsman,
    I’m not in the habit of spending money without getting return for it.
    Wouldnt have invested in them if I was sitting on the fence wether there was an improvement or not.

Put me down as a ‘believer’ if it helps make it more acceptable.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

not agin them as such either, but think both sides of the arguement need to be represented so people can make a more educated choice. lots of things come out this way on both sides.

also think adding a touch of humour along way does more good than harm.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steve.

I think it's one of those things where some will discern a difference, and some not. I probably fall into the second camp, so I'm reluctant to throw my hard earned (and in short supply) cash at it.

A few years ago, at one of the Cranage shows, there was a guy demonstrating the difference between some digital cable costing a few quid and one going for several hundred. There were blokes to the left and right of me nodding their heads in appreciation of the improvement the dear wire brought. I couldn't tell the bloody difference, but I didn't come away feeling we were being conned, rather that I have cloth ears and don't deserve a nice stereo.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast