+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Quantum Science fuses.

I'm Kevin.

That is why HiFi is a cruel mistress.
    When you are young, and can appreciate a good system, you can’t afford one.
    When you are old, and you can, you can’t tell any difference between that and a cheaper system.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    When you are old, and you can, you can’t tell any difference between that and a cheaper system.
    There must be some truth in that but my friend a few doors down has a respectable system (Sony CD, Rega Planar 3, Rotel amp and Ruark Templar speakers). I can listen to it happily for hours but when I go back to my system I realise what is missing from his. It does nothing bad though, it's never harsh or hard. That's the key really, it's all sins of omisson rather than sins of commision.

But on the fuse thing and other improbable tweaks - I think we can potentially all hear differences, the question is whether they are real or not.

Example - My system already sounds great, there's no sins of commision. If I put fancy fuses in all the plugs and listen again, well it's still going to sound good, but now I know I have made a change, I'm listening to see if I can hear any difference, so I'm not listeniing in the usual way of just enjoying the sound. So maybe I hear improvements and think 'Yes these fuses work.'

Next day I come to listen again, this time I'm not doing a comparison, I'm just enjoying the sound. It sounds good. I take it for granted that the improvement I heard the previous day when I put the fuses in is still there.

Now if my system did not sound good, say it was harsh and hard, and the fuses fixed that, there's something solid to go on. I listen the next day and there's no harshness or hardness so I know the fuses did something. They banished the problem the first day, and when I come back the next day it is still banished.

But if the system already had no problems then I don't know if they did really do something, or if I was just listening differently, listening for improvements/changes, the day I put them in.

My other problem is that if you accept one thing that cannot explicably make a difference, where do you draw the line? There's a million products like that out there, do I start trying them too? That gets expensive, plus I'd never really be sure if they were actually doing something or it was in my head.

And the other issue is that if I'm tweaking often, my brain goes into that analytic/critical mode and then when I just want to relax to good sounds I can't switch that off - I'm always judging sound quality, That can ruin enjoying music for me.

I probably haven't explained that very well but hopefully you get the gist.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

there is also that when younger your idea of a good system isnt same as when your older.. also your hearing is going to be different as is your musical appreciation.
    now for instance im happy with cans and pc.. i wouldnt have been before, although the tech now is much better, but the idea that cans are enough wouldnt have sat well when younger.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

Hence me saying (right at the start) try it in your own system.
    Make your own mind up.
    Oh,
    (No false equivalence please about sticking your hand in the fire...that's just intellectually lazy)

Us audiophile lot can't decide on a "best" anything, its all down to the individual and their system.
    Which in my book is also fine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not agin them as such either, but think both sides of the arguement need to be represented so people can make a more educated choice. lots of things come out this way on both sides.

also think adding a touch of humour along way does more good than harm.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Kevin.

So, if you were going to try a fuse.
    Where in the system would you put it?
    And what would you use?
    Kevin

I'm Clive.

So, if you were going to try a fuse.
    Where in the system would you put it?
    And what would you use?
    I put 1 fuse only in the plug from wall socket into a short cable then into my IsoTek Orion power distribution bar. This powers the rest of my system of pre with streamer and DAC/power, disc player, phono pre and TT. The rest of the fuses are all standard bussman fuses. To my ears and system this achieved an improvement in the soundstage depth and width. So I will keep it. It’s a Quantum Science yellow. I don’t see myself using another.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Gary.

Hey Kevin,

I'm no authority here, but I have played around a bit and here's what I found worked best.
    Just my £0.02 worth.

Depends on system setup I'd say?

If someone runs their gear from a distribution block, put a 13A in there as any benefit would feed your entire system.
    For the price of a half decent pair of trainers or a pub meal and drinks for 2, at a minimum I'd go with one of these.
    Not an expensive upgrade in context of the return you get.

Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme3
    https://www.analogueseduction.net/fu...rade-fuse.html

You can of course get better than this,
    Clive's Quantum Yellow would do a better job (hifi sound quality wise)
    For myself I've put a halt at the SR Purples, that my cost comfort level cap.

Think though Kev,
    in France you guys use the two pin plug?
    For yourself you'd be looking at the fuse in the rear IEC socket, or the internal fuse then.
    If it has both, replace both.
    Think of a fuse as a potential "chokepoint", in my experience its exactly that.

Easy to find your fuse rating of your gear,
    just swap out like for like.
    For doing this,
    there's a better Hifi Tuning fuse (99% Silver 1% gold endcaps and burn wire - not plated, made from the alloy), and available in many different ratings.
    https://www.analogueseduction.net/fuses/HFT-SUPF[1].html

Where to replace wise:
    If your a digital guy I've found for digital best bang for buck is in upgrading your Dac's fuse first, then digital sources.
    Then your amp.
    Then any power supplies feeding your gear,
    no point though if running a switch mode wall-wart, only do this if you run a decent linear supply.

Only exception is to this is if you run a separate power amp?
    Just as much benefit here as from your Dac. was surprised at the jump when I put one in my Meridian.

That said, it kinda makes sense to me.
    Like your Dac handling all things digital, power amp feeds your speakers, and if it can drive them better you'll get better sound out them.
    Just in my experience clean AC power is everything.
    I've swapped out every fuse in my system, one at a time and observed improvement every time.
    Especially with the SR blacks and above.

I'm happy knowing I've eliminated any potential electrical choke-points that could hold back the sound.

Works for me, could for you too.

As I said I think its System dependent, setup and "all things being equal" matter too, so YMMV

I'm Kevin.

Gary, you are right, I have no fuses in my plugs, as you can’t fit them in a Schuko socket.

My system consists of my music PC, a digital interface/format converter, DAC, Pre amp, power amp for digital.
    I do have a valve based phono stage on the analogue side.

So obvious plaCe would be pre and power?
    They get used with everything.

My system as it stands:
    Home built music PC
    Audio GD DI-2014
    RME ADI2 DAC Fs
    Topping pre-90
    Nuerochrome Modulus 686

All is cabled with OCC signal and power cables, except the DI, which has a Mark Grant power cable.

Analogue adds in my SL1200 and my BB3 phono stage.
    Kevin

I'm Gary.

Yup,
    Agreee.

If it were my kit I'd go Pre and power, then Dac.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There must be some truth in that but my friend a few doors down has a respectable system (Sony CD, Rega Planar 3, Rotel amp and Ruark Templar speakers). I can listen to it happily for hours but when I go back to my system I realise what is missing from his. It does nothing bad though, it's never harsh or hard. That's the key really, it's all sins of omisson rather than sins of commision.

But on the fuse thing and other improbable tweaks - I think we can potentially all hear differences, the question is whether they are real or not.

Example - My system already sounds great, there's no sins of commision. If I put fancy fuses in all the plugs and listen again, well it's still going to sound good, but now I know I have made a change, I'm listening to see if I can hear any difference, so I'm not listeniing in the usual way of just enjoying the sound. So maybe I hear improvements and think 'Yes these fuses work.'

Next day I come to listen again, this time I'm not doing a comparison, I'm just enjoying the sound. It sounds good. I take it for granted that the improvement I heard the previous day when I put the fuses in is still there.

Now if my system did not sound good, say it was harsh and hard, and the fuses fixed that, there's something solid to go on. I listen the next day and there's no harshness or hardness so I know the fuses did something. They banished the problem the first day, and when I come back the next day it is still banished.

But if the system already had no problems then I don't know if they did really do something, or if I was just listening differently, listening for improvements/changes, the day I put them in.

My other problem is that if you accept one thing that cannot explicably make a difference, where do you draw the line? There's a million products like that out there, do I start trying them too? That gets expensive, plus I'd never really be sure if they were actually doing something or it was in my head.

And the other issue is that if I'm tweaking often, my brain goes into that analytic/critical mode and then when I just want to relax to good sounds I can't switch that off - I'm always judging sound quality, That can ruin enjoying music for me.

I probably haven't explained that very well but hopefully you get the gist.
    I would add that if you do hear an improvement, stay with it for a few days, then revert back to situation before you made the change. If you hear a degradation of sound, then the change was a genuine improvement; if you don't hear any reduction of sound quality, then the change was not a genuine improvement.

I do this for with all changes of cable, and in the one instance: a Hi-Fi Tuning fuse that was given to me.

As to the analytic/critical mode - my modus operandi is to make a change and just play some music. If there is a definite change it will leap out to me whether I want it to or not. If it doesn't and I have to really listen hard for any change, then as far as I'm concerned the change either doesn't exist or is not important enough for me for it to remain in my system.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast