+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage speaker enclosures - help needed

I'm Al.

Question Vintage speaker enclosures - help needed

I inherited a pair of speaker enclosures, custom-made by a relative in the early/mid 1970s. This photo of the crossover units shows what the drivers are.

On the back of each speaker there's a small cream knob which has two positions only - it's under the crossover wiring loom in the second photo.

On the back of one speaker, there's a larger clear dial which has four positions.

I tried the knobs in different combinations and there was some difference to the tone but when I turned up the volume, the amp started misbehaving (power light flashed on/off, one channel stopped working temporarily). It's an old backup amp (Denon PMA-355UK) and these problems might be unrelated to the speaker controls - just coincidence.

I have no idea what the different knobs might do - can anyone offer suggestions/advice?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRecordLover View Post
    I inherited a pair of speaker enclosures, custom-made by a relative in the early/mid 1970s. This photo of the crossover units shows what the drivers are.

petty sure these dials are to adjust relative levels of each driver. As for the rest I don't know. There may be a fault in the crossover on one of the speakers that is causing the amplifier to go into protection. Any chance we can have some more pictures?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    petty sure these dials are to adjust relative levels of each driver. As for the rest I don't know. There may be a fault in the crossover on one of the speakers that is causing the amplifier to go into protection. Any chance we can have some more pictures?
    Thank you. I know what the controls on the crossover units do - it's the knobs on the back that are the mystery. I can post photos of the front of the speakers (I don't think that'd help, though) but short of removing the backs, I'm not sure what other photos would be useful?

I'm Martin.

Thank you. I know what the controls on the crossover units do - it's the knobs on the back that are the mystery. I can post photos of the front of the speakers (I don't think that'd help, though) but short of removing the backs, I'm not sure what other photos would be useful?
    Need to see where all the wires go, that's the only way of working it out.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Alan.

You might find this interesting:- https://www.voxac100.org.uk/midax.htm

You will have to remove the backs to find out any more, they are clearly very well made, but we all do 'it' differently.

I suspect you need to look at ebay prices (for the Trebax 100 and Midax 650) to get an idea of value... There are many WB Stentorian models so have a look inside.

Alan

I'm Al.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman_al View Post
    You might find this interesting:- https://www.voxac100.org.uk/midax.htm

You will have to remove the backs to find out any more, they are clearly very well made, but we all do 'it' differently.

I suspect you need to look at ebay prices (for the Trebax 100 and Midax 650) to get an idea of value... There are many WB Stentorian models so have a look inside.

Alan
    Thanks, Alan - that's an interesting page. I have some original paperwork for the speakers (ppssibly made by "A Davies & Co, North London") which includes one of those "Blue Dot" leaflets pictured on the Vox site.

It looks like I'll need to remove the backs at some point but in the meantime, maybe there'll be some educated guesses about the purpose of those two mystery dials...

I'm Grant.

some of the whiteley's bass drivers had different taps for impedence so im guessing one at least is for that. probably 2 way.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

We do not know what type / make the bass driver is yet.
    The Stentorian knob has the script, ''Cone Tweeter'' round the dial.
    Even more reason to get the back off...

I'm Martin.

God only knows what's going on in there.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Thanks, Alan - that's an interesting page. I have some original paperwork for the speakers (ppssibly made by "A Davies & Co, North London") which includes one of those "Blue Dot" leaflets pictured on the Vox site.

I used to have some literature by A. Davies on their loudspeaker enclosure cabinets. They were designed to use a variety of drive units from the, then, major driver maunufactures: Wharfedale, Goodmans and Stentorian, as well as 'exotica' such as the Kelly ribbon and Shackman electrostatic treble units.

Unfortunately, during a clearout a couple of months ago of a mass of hi-fi magazines and audio component manufacture's leaflets and literature, I threw out the A. Davies stuff.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread