+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new amplifier - Luxman or maybe Quad... or something else?

I'm Josie.

Default Looking for a new amplifier - Luxman or maybe Quad... or something else?

Hi all.

I'm looking to get a solid state amplifier for my Tannoy Monitor Gold speakers.

Although I have tried a Quad amp, namely the 306 mostly. I did think it was a very nice sounding amp and it's certainly another contender but I'm now thinking of going balanced as I'd like to use longer signal cable runs.

Something else to try is a Luxman as they have always intrigued me. Some of their kit is also balanced which would also fit the bill.. But, my budget for a Luxman might not fit so it might be more of a waiting game for that.

Has anyone got any experience with Luxman and Quad in their system?

Of course, I can't restrict myself here so other amps would be of interest.

I'm after good slam yet the ability for delicacy, plenty of dynamics and bottom.

My budget is £2k

Any ideas would be great.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I use a pair of Quad 510 monoblock amplifiers, having a nominal power output of 135W. They have a balanced input, and a transformer coupled output, allowing multiple series combination for higher power outputs.

https://www.dadaelectronics.eu/uploa...ion-Manual.pdf
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I use a pair of NuPrime STA-9 power amps in mono block mode to drive my Magneplanar speakers. In this mode each amp outputs 290w. I have them under each speaker in a self build plinth with short speaker cables and long xlr leads.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/po.../Nuprime4.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Geoff.

This is also worth a look.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...plifier.32014/

Plenty of budget left foe balanced preamp

I'm Josie.

Hi Geoff.

They do look good. I did try a class D amp a while ago. It was a cheapo SMSL amp at about 15wpc...i was quite surprised to be honest. It wasn't very dynamic or very entertaining but still, it surprised me.

Hi Barry... The Quads you have have always been on my bucket list along with the 520 amps but the ones I can see for sale at the moment on ebay are drastically overpriced I think.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Geoff.

The NuPrime designs are hybrid A+D. In mono block mode they drive my Maggies very well. You could almost certainly get away with a single unit with your more efficient Tannoys. NuPrime also have other models that may suit your needs better. Dynamics are not an issue.

Audio Science Review give a glowing review of the Audiophonics amp and the measurements are off the scale. The quality of construction is awesome and it looks an absolute bargain at the price.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Geoff.

They do look good. I did try a class D amp a while ago. It was a cheapo SMSL amp at about 15wpc...i was quite surprised to be honest. It wasn't very dynamic or very entertaining but still, it surprised me.

Hi Barry... The Quads you have have always been on my bucket list along with the 520 amps but the ones I can see for sale at the moment on ebay are drastically overpriced I think.

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherwood; 07-08-2022 at 10:38.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I use a pair of NuPrime STA-9 power amps in mono block mode to drive my Magneplanar speakers. In this mode each amp outputs 290w. I have them under each speaker in a self build plinth with short speaker cables and long xlr leads.

https://www.analogueseduction.net/po.../Nuprime4.html
    That's the way to do it - monoblock amplifiers close to the speakers using short speaker leads, with balanced-line cables back to the preamp etc.

(In my case the balanced-line cables are about 10 metres long and run under the floor.)
    Barry

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'd recommend something from Neurochrome. Better than any other SS amp I've heard in my system.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

These are well in your budget-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134184302697
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

A little over if you want more power-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134028197...UAAOSwBkZiD3nY

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast