+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Kensington GR amp for

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Maybe hybrid amp, with valves in preamp and SS for power?
    That's what I used to do and I think it would give you what you are after. Can you use the JVC just as a power amp? Then add something like a Croft 25 pre-amp.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ales.

Unfortunatelly JVC amp has not separate pre and power amp.
    I've read about good sinergy with First Watt power amps and Tannoys?
    Which models are better suited for Tannoys: single ended or push-pull systems? Any recommendation?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Geoff.

PM sent

I'm Phil.

Unfortunatelly JVC amp has not separate pre and power amp.
    I've read about good sinergy with First Watt power amps and Tannoys?
    Which models are better suited for Tannoys: single ended or push-pull systems? Any recommendation?
    i use first watt F5 clones with my tannoy eaton legacy and they are simply divine !!! in fact they seem to sound better and better as the months go by
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ales.

From tube amps I've mentioned at the beginning I'm now more inclined to SS amp with warm, not analytical sound.

Phil, thanks you for your input. I'm arranging sound test with First Watt F7 amplifier, which is more modern variant of F5.
    Can I ask you what preamp do you use for F5?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Phil.

yes i have had superb results with bel canto pre amps . they are very organic sounding and the vbs models [ virtual battery ] can be upgraded with superb power supplies like the DC3

this coupled with the first watt has been superb . at one point i was running 2 of these pre amps that are ultra reliable and bombproof build at a reasonable cost

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...a-house.32498/

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...ar-psu.229611/[ thats another psu that firebottle made ]
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ales.

Has anybody experience with B1 Buffer Preamp from Nelson Pass? It is just simple SS preamp with JFET transistors?
    Or alternate valve preamp for different sound signature?

I'm Martin.

Has anybody experience with B1 Buffer Preamp from Nelson Pass? It is just simple SS preamp with JFET transistors?
    Or alternate valve preamp for different sound signature?
    I've got a DCB1 which is pretty much the same thing. I'd highly recommend it although you need to check it is compatible with your power amp, as it has no gain.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If you can stretch to these, they would be superb imo, these were designed to marry the best of valves with the best of SS-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283480195...=20001&mkevt=1
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ales.

In meantime, based on good experience with Tannoy speakers, I've ordered First Watt F7. It had also good discount from seller.
    FW F7 amp is a little special, it has low input impedance 10 kOhm, relatively low gain 14db, power: 20W/8 ohms, 30W/4 ohms (1-2% THD at 1kHz), Input sensitivity: 0.57V (1W); 2.53V (max output)

Because of low input impedance of F7 it can be fussy with some valve preamp. So preamp needs low output imedance, bellow 100 or 200 Ohms and low gain less than 10db or 6x?
    Any good suggestions from Tron, Linear Tube Audio, etc?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast