+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Kensington GR amp for

I'm Ales.

Default Tannoy Kensington GR amp for

Hello,
    by great luck and some money I've changed my Tannoy Turnberry SE for Kensington GR speakers. Difference is amazing, more music nuanaces, better high and bass reproduction, a little more laid back. Kensingtons have Peperpot waveguide and Anico magnets.
    I'm listening to blues and jazz music on medium level in a room with about 230 sqf.
    Now I'm asking you for a good, second hand amplifier suggestions with budget to about 2500 GBP.
    Thanks.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Ales.

I'm interested which tube amplifiers are working with Kensington GR, beacause for Turnberry I've used only SS amplifiers from Sugden, A21.
    Which tube amp will give full sound with Kensington GR?
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Phil.

So which amp are you using at the moment to get such good sound ?
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Ales.

Curently I'm using integrated amp JVC AX-Z911, which is reference amp from 1988. For digital inputs is working in A class, for other in AB class. For turntable RIAA I'm using EAR 834P.
    For Tannoy Kensington GR I'm looking for a best match with tubes EL34. My main candidates for new amplifier are Radford STA Mark3, refurbished by Will, or Air Tight 1S, which can I buy for reasonable price.

I'm Martin.

The Radford is a good bet.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Ales.

Which will play more dinamically, with better bass reproduction? Air Tight 1s has quite low output impedance abour 3 Ohms, so very low damping factor.
    How much better is Radford STA 35 mk3 in this regard? Has anybody data about damping factor for STA35 mk3?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by opt817 View Post
    Which will play more dinamically, with better bass reproduction? ?
    The JVC
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ales.

You are right, the JVC Ax-Z911 is very good amp, but it doesn't have "tube flavour". So I'm planning to keep JVC, but add Radford STA35 for more romantic evenings.

I'm Martin.

Maybe the Radford would not be the best choice then. I'm not familiar with the STA35 but the STA15 and 25 don't really have 'tube flavour' IMO anyway. That's why they are one of a handful of valve amps I could live with.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Ales.

Hello Martin, my mistake -I should write STA 25 mark3, not STA35 which is complety different.
    What is your recommendation for best drive and impact and some nice "tube" flavour? Maybe hybrid amp, with valves in preamp and SS for power?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast