+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a nearfield listening position ever be too realistic?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I sit 15' away from my Quad ESLs. The speakers are at the 'live' end of the room and my listening position is at the 'dead' end.

I have been happily listening to this set up for the last forty years, and I can, if I choose, listen to it for hours on end.

IMO the objective is not to have the performers sounding as if they are in your room (I can't imagine what the Berlin Philharmonic would sound like squeezed into the room!), rather it should sound as if you are transported to the venue of the performance. In other words, somewhere in the vicinity of the speaker plane, the walls of your listening room should disappear, to be replaced by the walls of the performance venue, which may extend well beyond the physical walls of your room.

Of course this only really applies to live recordings, and to those who attend concerts. But with studio recordings the stereo' presentation is down to the whim of the recording engineer.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

my speakers are about an inch away and if i use my nuras, the tweeters are inside my ears
    Last edited by struth; 15-06-2022 at 08:31.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yes the rear wall could be an issue if too close but to be honest with open baffle speakers I would have thought first reflection points would be an issue. I would maybe treat rear wall with some dispersion treatment if it is a problem.

Interestingly I have just been over to a mates new listening room which has been acoustically engineered to the extreme and has very few room nodes. It is a very large room indeed and with superb room acoustic treatment it has meant the listening experience actually does not change dramatically as you move back and forwards or even to the side in the room. But this is a very sorted listening room. Just proves if you put effort into room acoustics you end up listening much more to the system and not the room.
    Interesting, I mentioned in another forum about anechoic chambers and someone said they'd been in one and you wouldn't want to stay in it to listen to music for long.

If the sound in your mates room doesn't change as you move around it implies most potential reflections are being absorbed, which sounds close to an anechoic chamber to me.

I'm Martin.

There's a big difference between a heavily treated room and an anechoic chamber.

I bet the room Jim is talking about looks nothing like this:

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

this is an anechoic chamber in salford uni

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Well he did say acoustically engineered to the extreme

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Interesting, I mentioned in another forum about anechoic chambers and someone said they'd been in one and you wouldn't want to stay in it to listen to music for long.

If the sound in your mates room doesn't change as you move around it implies most potential reflections are being absorbed, which sounds close to an anechoic chamber to me.
    Err its certainly not an Anachoic chamber, indeed far from it. It is a perfect blend of live reflection and absorbtion. I made some notes when listening too this new room and certain aspects surprised me. We were listening to B&W 801 D4s with chord mono block amps and a DAVE on the front end so quite a powerful and well sorted system. The room is massive and 2 years of acoustic engineering have certainly paid off and made for a very interesting listening experience.

My point about listening position is difficult to explain and has to be heard to be understood. Whereas most of us usually have a sweet spot, the system I heard in that room had more than one sweet spot, you could listen from further back or from an angle and still hear a very convincing performance. Reminded me of listening to a live performance where there are usually many positions in the gig from where you can hear great sound.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

Interesting that this thread draws comparisons between "you are there at the performance" and the "performers are in your room".

Perhaps there are two ways to tune a system??? I have the latter, but sometimes think, for relaxation, it would be better to have the former.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm James.

Yes I think listening position generally can dictate how you perceive the performers/ music and in the end it is down to preference I guess. I like my system to give a performance as if I were listening to a small group or performer playing on stage in front of me with plenty of depth and width. I would not like to be too close as it were in amongst the performance.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Pete.

bass below 1khz is none directional ...therefore it doesn't matter at what height its fired at. To be directional, the sounds wavelength must be less than the distance between your ears.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast