+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a nearfield listening position ever be too realistic?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    I'm, sitting here nodding with agreement I can downgrade the components of my system and listen for hours, but I have worked hard for decades to get to this point and its a bit disheartening.
    I sort of feel the same way. I always wanted to replicate that 'rawness' you get in the studio where it feels like there is nothing between you and the music and I got that, but in truth I mostly don't listen so seriously most of the time, and if I just want to relax and have music on whilst I read then it's just too much. Unless I'm playing something fairly mellow like an old jazz album.

Distance doesn't really make a difference, my 'serious' listening spot is 18 feet back from the speakers...

I console myself that I chased it, I got it, now I can move on
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

What about the ratio of direct to reflected sound? Really Macca 18ft?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    yes really, although a lot of the time -like right now - I sit off to the side about 8 foot away.

More room treatment might help in my case (I do have some already) but I think Chris has gone to town on that already (unless I'm mixing him up with someone else).
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    If you sit 18 feet from a jazz group in a small bar, what is the ratio like then? Many will want to hear their music like that so it should be fine.

I'm Martin.

unamplified instruments in a small venue is very full-on but we don't complain about that, but then you don't go out to a venue to hear a band in order to relax (or at least not relax in the same way).

When I get in from work (when I had a job that is) I like a couple of hours of the music just washing over me, a very explicit monitor set-up isn't great for that. Conversely on the weekends when I'm already chilled, that's when I want to be amazed by the transparency.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    If you sit 18 feet from a jazz group in a small bar, what is the ratio like then? Many will want to hear their music like that so it should be fine.
    All those other people in the audience will mellow most frequencies. The ultimate room treatment.

I don't think I would enjoy listening a few ft from Sarah Brightman giving it some welly for an hour. and so it is with my Hi Fi.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Martin.

I don't know if she was wearing that starship trooper uniform and was still 19 or whatever I think I'd cope.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm James.

Thanks James. I watched that right through and he agreed that when listening to big panels or dipoles you can get too close. The big downside to moving the listening chair further away, which he ignored, is that you approach close to the wall behind your head with all its own reflections. But I plan to give this a go and perhaps to drape the rear wall with acoustic treatment. (tapestry or rug).
    Yes the rear wall could be an issue if too close but to be honest with open baffle speakers I would have thought first reflection points would be an issue. I would maybe treat rear wall with some dispersion treatment if it is a problem.

Interestingly I have just been over to a mates new listening room which has been acoustically engineered to the extreme and has very few room nodes. It is a very large room indeed and with superb room acoustic treatment it has meant the listening experience actually does not change dramatically as you move back and forwards or even to the side in the room. But this is a very sorted listening room. Just proves if you put effort into room acoustics you end up listening much more to the system and not the room.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Rob.

Thanks Rob. its just a question of what??

Sometimes when you concentrate on the big picture its easy to miss the obvious.

Incidentally here is a picture of my set up. You can see its all a bit 'in your face'

Attachment 30419
    Well I did have speakers about the size of yours in an even smaller room than I have now They were full range driver 10stone monster back loaded horns and they were fine to me. This is what I have at the mo, some OB's and 96dB sensitive.

The pics make it look a little closer to my head than it is.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    This raises the question of how much reverb is already on the recording, and how much we add with our room, it being more in the far field.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast