+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

I'm Peter.

Default Hello

Hi all,

I thought I'd do the welcome post - I previously browsed the forum via tapatalk (some very nice systems here!) but then I mislaid my account details. I've got a pretty modest system designed not to take up too much space, out of reach of kids' fingers! Next step for me might be a cartridge upgrade but I fear this might send me down a rabbit hole of other related components... Musically I'm a bit all over the place; rock/dance/folk, and some classical. My record collection is probably more 1990s heavy than any other decade.
    Hope everyone's doing well.

--

Roksan Xerxes TT with Rega RB300 and Ortofon 510 mkII
    Musical Fidelity X-LP
    Musical Fidelity X-PRE
    (X-PSU powering the above two)
    KRK Rokit RP5 powered monitors

I'm Geoff.

Hello Peter. Welcome to AOS.

Interesting system you have there. I've not seen the X-Pre mentioned by anybody for quite a while, I rather liked those. Should have hung onto mine. I don't know anything about the KRK speakers.

Anyway, Join in the chat and enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

It's a valve pre isn't it, ECC88 valves?

I'm Martin.

welcome to the forum, great system, you could improve on the Ortofon 510 without upsetting anything.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Hello Peter. Welcome to AOS.

Interesting system you have there. I've not seen the X-Pre mentioned by anybody for quite a while, I rather liked those. Should have hung onto mine. I don't know anything about the KRK speakers.

Anyway, Join in the chat and enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    Hi Geoff, the KRKs are actually studio monitors and not that pricey, but they do sound good. The only issue is they don't have a great noise floor, so I intend to address that if I can.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    It's a valve pre isn't it, ECC88 valves?
    Hi Lawrence, yes it is valve, I chose to use it to hopefully warm up the rather neutral sounding studio monitors, and I think it's a good starting point.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    welcome to the forum, great system, you could improve on the Ortofon 510 without upsetting anything.
    Thanks Martin, I was thinking of going further up the MM chain - something like a Goldring 1042 - rather than push into MC territory with the current phono stage (which doesn't have any ability to change the loading).

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by fanshawe View Post
    Thanks Martin, I was thinking of going further up the MM chain - something like a Goldring 1042 - rather than push into MC territory with the current phono stage (which doesn't have any ability to change the loading).
    The Goldring is good, personally-speaking Nagaokas are my favourite MM cartridges.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread