+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audiolab DC Blocker

I'm Shaun.

Cheers you guys. I guess I'll save a hundred quid and not bother. My amp does induce some hum but from where I'm sat it is not a problem.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    He can't think it makes no difference if he's saying that a particular amp prefers 'gritty mains.'

What he should be saying is that unless you have a specific issue there's no point buying a DC blocker, which amplifier is in use is irrelevant. A DC blocker might reduce transformer hum if it is present, it will not 'clean' the mains or reduce distortion on the mains or anything else. Any amp can have or develop transformer hum.
    Fair points.

He made me wonder if gritty mains can induce distortion and apparent detail that some may like.

Or even if it can induce a pleasant valve like distortion, but recognise the frequently made even vs. odd point. (I think @Rabski disputed this a while ago ie that valves distort at all in a well designed amp, maybe I'm thinking of someone else apologies if so.)

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Fair points.

He made me wonder if gritty mains can induce distortion and apparent detail that some may like.
    perhaps that is his reasoning? Even if it is, it's still nonsense. If even a small percentage of mains distortion got past being converted from AC to DC in the power supply of the amplifier it would sound rotten. Hi fi as we know it wouldn't exist and we'd all still be using clockwork gramophones.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Thanks guys. I guess it's the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it " thing. It's the best sounding system I have ever owned so maybe I should just shut up and listen.

I'm Jerry.

I bought one of the Audiolab DC Blocks last month.
    Have yet to install it.

I'm Michael.

Why not buy it under the proviso you can take it back and get a refund. I have done this with loudspeakers. Most dealers will oblige.

I'm Alan.

DC Blockers can work if you have that problem with your mains supply, buzzing transformers can be one sign
    I built a Sjostrom DC03 mains blocker with optional EMI filtering I don't have a problem with DC I just like making stuff .
    So as expected it made no difference in my system.
    But a friend of mine has always complained that his system sounds different at certain times in the day and his present Denon PMA 2500NE amplifier buzzes and gets hot at certain times, he lives in an area where there is some heavy industry close buy so that may have something to do with it.
    Anyway putting the DC blocker in his system has cured his problem and he is very happy that his excellent Amp /DAC no longer gets hot

IMG_3958 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12