+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heybrook returns.

I'm Martin.

I wasn't aware of this until today but apparently there is a trend called 'Newtro' which is ''an amalgamation of trends of the modern and retro eras (namely, the 1980s and 1990s) in all fields of life, such as fashion, music, movies, beverages, food, architecture, electronics, etc''

Started in Korea in 2018

I suppose these Heybrook speakers and new Mission 770, Wharfedale Linton, Epos ES14 are all a part of it.

''There are also criticisms of the Newtro phenomenon. With great emphasis on the Newtro trend, more and more people end up consuming Newtro culture, leading to concerns that are being overlooked due to economic gains. Professor Kyun-Sik Jang of the Department of History at Chung-Ang University pointed out the dangers of consuming the Newtro culture without historical awareness. Some are concerned that the area which become a Newtro Landmark only borrows tradition as a commercial concept, but loses its original identity''

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtro_culture
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shane.

I would argue that it started twenty years ago when BMW introduced the new Mini, which was about twice the size of the old one, closely followed by FIAT with the 500.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    I would argue that it started twenty years ago when BMW introduced the new Mini, which was about twice the size of the old one, closely followed by FIAT with the 500.
    Good point. I guess it's taken the audio industry that long to catch up. I suppose they don't have anything like the budget for marketing research that the auto industry has.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Shane.

Not so sure about that. Mission and Wharfedale are IAG companies so their ‘home’ market is China, and this retro stuff is huge over there. Whether Heybrook can pull off the same trick in the UK remains to be seen. Hope so. PJC usually knows what he’s doing.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post

Happens to all of us. I'm thinking of "Newtro"-ising my username from Pigmy Pony to just plain Pig.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

...there is a trend called 'Newtro' which is ''an amalgamation of trends of the modern and retro eras (namely, the 1980s and 1990s) in all fields of life, such as fashion, music, movies, beverages, food, architecture, electronics, etc''
    Oh dear, two of the worse decades in music: post-punk 'New Romantics' and 'yacht rock'!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Oh dear, two of the worse decades in music: post-punk 'New Romantics' and 'yacht rock'!
    you're joking, the two worst decades have been the last two.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    you're joking, the two worst decades have been the last two.
    I said "two of the worse", not "the two worse".
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I said "two of the worse", not "the two worse".
    There's only been six though - I'd put them in the order 1970s, 1960s, 1990s, 1980s, 2000s, 2010s
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123