+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: North West Audio Show Cranage Hall 2022

I'm Steve.

+1 for the Kii speakers. The bloke also put on a track by The Hu (Mongolian folk/rock band) and it sounded like the end of the world was coming, even though the speakers didn't break a sweat. If I could afford them it'd be a no brainer really.

For me, the best of the affordable(!) speakers were those smaller Kerr floorstanders. Only £6.5k. If I sold my current ones, as well as my spare amps, spare pre amp, spare CD player and the FireBlade I might just get there. Can't believe I'm even thinking about it

The best bargain for me had to be the IMF 200s in the Falcon Acoustics room. Great sound, and he would have sold me that pair for £2100, which is about £700* off normal price. Why do these things always come along when I'm skint? Because I'm always skint that's why.
    Last edited by Pigmy Pony; 19-06-2022 at 18:53. Reason: *crap maths
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shane.

Macca. Did you hear the NVA system?

S.
    Shane Lonergan.

I'm Martin.

worth keeping an eye out for a second hand pair of those Kerr. Or those YG Acoustic.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998_mk2 View Post
    Macca. Did you hear the NVA system?

S.
    No, I wanted to but never found it. They give you a map but the place is a maze and the map just has the name or number of the room, it doesn't tell you who's in there.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Lawrence.

Sounds like a pretty pointless map if it tells you the numbers but not who's in there. I've never heard anyone say "I really want to go to Cranage to listen to the systems in rooms 3, 17 and 28."

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    worth keeping an eye out for a second hand pair of those Kerr. Or those YG Acoustic.

The cheapest YG Acoustics, as sold by Nintronics. £18,900. So that's not happening

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

The cheapest YG Acoustics, as sold by Nintronics. £18,900. So that's not happening
    oops no wonder they were so good.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    oops no wonder they were so good.
    That they were. And they certainly filled that big room. But Nintronics have some other YG speakers that they want £400,000 for. Can't imagine what size room they would suit.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty pointless map if it tells you the numbers but not who's in there. I've never heard anyone say "I really want to go to Cranage to listen to the systems in rooms 3, 17 and 28."
    The map was ok really, numbered or named rooms with a key to what was in those rooms. But the place really is a bit of a maze, not helped by the fact that what starts at the entrance as ground floor becomes 1st floor at some point which meant the important stuff (record stall and bar) are then on "lower ground floor"

And stopping to chat with folk, as well as the obligatory visit to the bar threw any attempt to be methodical out the window. Looking again at the floor plan I can see there were a couple of rooms we missed.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Mike.

For me the stand out kit were the KII speakers, at £27k for the system it was a little more than i'd be comfortable spending, but the sound was top drawer the bass in particular grabs you and makes you listen. the guide was available in paper form from reception and you could access it online through the app, but as others have said the hotel is a rabbit warren and even with a map it's not the easiest place to navigate. As Macca has said the B&W room was unimpressive to say the least, pretty much all the speakers with big bass bins were playing Glen Miller or string music which isn't going to test them or show off what they are capable of, it was good to see Alan Clark ( Kralk Audio now Alchris Audio ), And the little KEF active speakers were a bit of a surprise with decent bass extension if a little wooly in the mid range. Overall a great day out and a chance to catch up with some AoS members.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123