+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celestian Ditton 25’s

I'm Andrew.

I've restored 9 or 10 pairs of Celestions over the years, my thoughts (for what they are worth) are just to keep them stock, don't try and overly damp them. Binding posts and new caps can make a difference in my experience but other than that I'd leave alone.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Brian.

Thanks for your thoughts.. that’s great and exactly what I will do..

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    My thoughts are that the boffins at KEF will have tried (and mostly rejected) all manner of damping in the cabinets when developing the speakers, and as long as everything is working as intended you can just relax and enjoy
    This is very true upto the year they produced the speaker. All manner of materials probably got invented after the speaker design. Then there is the HUGE black hole of trying loads of different new stuff, which, to be honest can be fun, expensive, and frustrating. So, do you want the sound of a pair of speakers from the 60s/70s or are you trying to update a 60s/70s speaker with a more modern, accurate sound? Quandries, quandries.........
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Rod.

Default Celestion restored vintage speakers Studio 66 (also applies to the Ditton 25)

I have built completely new cabinets for my Studio 66's and kept the spec identical to the original 18mm chipboard cabinets. Recapped and made them tri-wireable so tri-ampable (is that a word..). I used only the original foam and no extra damping at all. The speakers were elevated on carb fibre speaker supports by around 10 inches to help sort the bass out. I would never use any extra damping on these out any other Celestion speaker of this vintage.

I can say after months of listening to these mid 1970's speakers the designers back then really knew what they were doing, the timbre on acoustic and percussive music is spot on, they are fast and agile and the cabinets disappear. Celestion had all kinds of options on materials for these flagship speakers but they went for chipboard because it's more lively and transmits energy at a higher frequency. Damping the internals would destroy the life they convey. Marvellous speakers and a joy to live with, my favourite vintage speaker by miles. The bass they produce is uncanny especially on the elevated carbon supports which control the low end punch and make for a very articulate speaker. Top end is sublime and the midrange believable. Happy chap....

Attached Images Attached Images
    Goldring G99 with Hydraulic reference arm, Logic DM101 TT, Rega 250, litz modded, Raspberry Pi3, Justboom Digi HAT spdif into Chord Mojo DAC, Avondale modded Naim CD6. Amplification: Valve - Leak TL12+ pair, Passive pre home made, SolidState - RMS T65 monoblocks, Grad One preamp. Celestion Studio 66 monitors (restored) on carbon fibre stands, RMS Revelation 2's and Revelation 1's, Stands Unique Klarity. Stands Unique Carbon, TWS Wall supports, Avondale Audio black link cable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12