+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying new kit from Europe

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    And make sure your order gets shipped in one go or for every package you'll pay the clearance charge. Ouch!
    That's interesting The 15" speaker drivers I want are not in stock and they have offered to gift me in advance a pair of 6" drivers for free by way of compensation. Will be interesting to see how that goes with taxes.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Steve.

I shouldn't think free stuff would be taxable. I mean, what's 20% of nowt?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I shouldn't think free stuff would be taxable. I mean, what's 20% of nowt?
    I'm with you on this but how many times can HMRC be fooled by tax dodger claiming its a gift.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Bob.

i found out the hard way. Importing some automotive stuff I couldn't get over here.

I had one large parcel - £15 clearance by Royal Mail, then an email from the supplier saying they'd left something out - another £15 clearance. There must have been something else as I remember paying £45 by the end of it just for clearance. And what did RM do to earn this?

Nothing apart from send me letters to say they wouldn't release things until I'd paid. Not even telephone calls or emails. I told the supplier to next time keep everything until it's ready to go.

I've had the same when buying from Japan (a Shelter 5000). DHL this time, depends on who the international shipper has the agreement with.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm BaskingInTheTriumphOfRealityOverHope.

From experience, assume the total cost is:
    product + shipping + import duty + (possible) handling + VAT on the total of the preceding costs.

The reality... duty / handling / VAT may or may not be added. Some EU businesses already have an agreement with UK authorities to add on duty / UK VAT at source meaning no additional costs post-purchase.The

I have purchased hi-fi related items from Poland, China, Canada and the USA. Different experiences for each. Weirdly, the purchase from China (amp) was the most straightforward - no extra for duty / courier fees / VAT (trade agreement? Or a mistake?).

BTW... Last year, I tried to get info about import duty from HMRC via the official website and a subsequent telecon. Utterly futile. Cretinously useless.

In summary, assume the worst / hope for the best. Good luck!

PS: Currently waiting for Sparkos Op Amps from the USA. Expecting a hit for duty / handling / VAT.
    Last edited by RockAddict; 12-07-2022 at 18:01. Reason: PS
    Kevin

Main system:
    Sources: EverSolo DMP-A6; Sony UHP-H1 (disc player)
    DAC: Denafrips Pontus II
    Pre amp: Quad Artera Pre (is also the main headphone amp)
    Power amp: Willsenton R8 amp (running JJ E34Ls) / Aiyima A07 (with Sparkos SS3602 Op Amps)
    Speakers: Dynaudio Special 40s with Van Damme UP-LCOFC (4mm) cables
    InterConns: Tellurium Q Black XLR; Morrow Audio MA4 - pre 2018 (analogue RCA); Mark Grant (coax x1); Atlas (coax x1)

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post

BTW... Last year, I tried to get info about import duty from HMRC via the official website and a subsequent telecon. Utterly futile. Cretinously useless.
    Chris (Bumpy): There's your answer, right there. HMRC can probably be fooled again and again, because they lack the time, manpower and will to be arsed with stuff that will barely pay to keep their vending machine stocked.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by RockAddict View Post

lol yes their website is crammed full of information except for the information you actually need. Same with any big organization or company. The Peter Principle is to blame I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12