+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer for the music???

I'm Remi.

Default Subwoofer for the music???

I want upgrade my current stereo system. I have amplifier Roksan Caspian mk2, speakers Monitor Audio gs20.I listen music from pc true DAC,flac, HD,Tidal hifi.I listen various kinds of music,jazz rock,prog, organ Bach.The mids and high are fantastic, but lowest frequency of bass is the weak spot of my stereo system.My room is about 30-35m2..My favourite subwoofer model is Rel 9, Sonus Faber Gravina 1, Warfedale sw15 ..Tell me your advice and support.Thanks for your time and answers.

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 7 koristeći Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Do you have a separate dac? If not DAC and sub should be a good improvement. Rel are good if you can get one. Strata Stadium and Stentor were the good ones years ago I'm not familiar with the later ranges.

I'm Remi.

I have Dac Music Fidaledty separately..On the amplifier i have preout preamp for sub connect..

I'm Geoff.

I recently bought one of these.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

Amazing performance for the price. They fitted auto on-off power on request for free.. I bought the downward facing driver unit in black ash
    Last edited by Sherwood; 17-05-2022 at 16:58. Reason: typo

I'm Martin.

I'd go for the Wharfaedale I think although the REL looks good too. The Sonus does not go as low as the other two and since your speakers are not bass-shy anyway I suspect you might get less benefit from that one.

Or for similar money you could get a second-hand Velodyne DD12 which would be a much better option IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Lawrence.

Velodyne are good I've got one of their Micro models, brilliant little thing, the cabinet is metal.

I'm Chris.

I have spent a bit of time experimenting with subs recently.

I have here a REL T5i and REL HT 1003 - both bought new. They are quite different beasts. The HT 1003 goes lower more easily, but its internal crossovers means it impacts more on the higher frequencies 200+Hz. This is OK with TV satellite type speakers where there is a big frequency hole to fill, but with Hi Fi it tramples all over the lower frequencies of the bass drivers which is not good. The T5i on the other hand has much more effective low pass filters built in and integrates very well with Hi Fi. By comparison to the HT 1003 it has less impact and depth, but it is more musical. In a medium size room it lacks the oomph of a bigger sub. With the T5i, I can barely hear any vocals when played on its own which is good from my perspective.

I've recently explored the options
    1. Add a second REL T5 sub
    2. Swap to a REL T7X
    3. Move to BK XXLS400 FF at half the price of the T7x

I have just yesterday pushed the button on the BK sub. The RELs have 8" drivers and the BK has a 12 inch Peerless driver. It gets great reviews. Should be with me in a week.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Mark.

Well I would certainly look at a sub for your system particularly if you like the MA 20's, so which to choose, well REL or Sonus are great options, I use a Sonus Faber Gravis for music and AV, fed separately for each (I have a high quality switching box), so I set the Gravis up by ear for music then use the Audyssey on the Denon AV amp for setting the AV sub out level, this gives me pretty much optimum for both. As for integration both are easy to adjust and can give really great results, positioning in the room is certainly worth spending some time on and there are some good YouTube videos to help, take a look at the Martin Logan ones which make the set up really easy to follow, as the principles are pretty much the same for every manufacturers subs. Most of all trust your ears, if it sounds right to you, it is right !

I'm Remi.

Thanks for the advice and support. I'm very interested in this Warfedale sw15 ,15 inch driver,is not joke.For jazz and organ pieces, sometimes big filharmonic orchestra..Thell me your experiences with this particular model.,,How much is worth ..Or maybe Velodyn..!!???

I'm Paul.

I've owned a BK XLS200 FF and found it excellent for its diminutive size and cheap too.

Added bonus is they do most models in DF (downward firing) or FF (forward firing) They sell returns on eBay at discount.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast