+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer for the music???

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    I've owned a BK XLS200 FF and found it excellent for its diminutive size and cheap too.

Added bonus is they do most models in DF (downward firing) or FF (forward firing) They sell returns on eBay at discount.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk
    The E bay B grades are generally not returns.

At the start of manufacture, if a cabinet comes from the 'paint shop' and has any imperfections at all, such as a tiny air bubble in the paint it is assigned a B Grade.

When you order, it is then built into a sub alongside all the others. Mine is a B grade but I'm damned if I can find the 'imperfection'. Their standards must be very high.

I highly recommend BK. I ordered a B Grade on the Friday and it arrived Wed morning looking brand new in every way.

Incidentally the XLS400FF is fantastic.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Steve.

Unless you have a solid floor I would advise against a DF model, or your floor may be singing along with the speakers. My BK XLS-200 is a downward firing model. Which was fine for movies. I plan to try it for music with a solid slab of something underneath, because as it is it's all a bit fat and ill-defined.

I agree they are excellent, especially for the money. Mine has been switched on permanently for most of its 8 years, and no issues whatsoever.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Unless you have a solid floor I would advise against a DF model, or your floor may be singing along with the speakers. My BK XLS-200 is a downward firing model. Which was fine for movies. I plan to try it for music with a solid slab of something underneath, because as it is it's all a bit fat and ill-defined.

I agree they are excellent, especially for the money. Mine has been switched on permanently for most of its 8 years, and no issues whatsoever.
    I agree that in most circumstances the FF is best. Funnily enough I found that something like sorbothane stops the process of bass transferring to the floor and then the walls which sing along. There is a recent thread on here about it.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

I have the DF model and a concrete floor. The sound is tight, deep, dynamic and rhythmic. I think this model is hard to beat at anywhere near its price.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I have the DF model and a concrete floor. The sound is tight, deep, dynamic and rhythmic. I think this model is hard to beat at anywhere near its price.
    VFM probably helped by the lack of dealer margins, I reckon you'd have to spend double elsewhere to get near the performance. Mine was £330 eight years ago for gloss black version. I doubt price has increased much.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Remi.

I have opportunities to listen Rel t9i..Im interested ,to upgrade my audio system.How much worth second hand..I try listen in my room whit my Roksan Caspian amplifier and Monitor Audio gs20.. Some rock, organ pieces,..

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 7 koristeći Tapatalk

I'm Remi.

Tell me your experiences with Rel company,one sub or pair.. Difference???!!! Thanks.

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 7 koristeći Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Definitely get 2 smaller subs as a stereo pair than one larger sub that's my view. Although if you are after subterranean bass, then you might prefer one large one. If you have a big room then you can get 2 big ones, best of both worlds

I'm Steve.

Using two subs rather than one is usually recommended. I found this video using a pair of REL subs when researching possible "upgrades" for my speakers. Which are Zu Omen Defs, same as the ones in the video btw.

I might yet go down this route. Secondhand T9is can be found for £600 or so, but next size down may well be sufficient.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Chris.

Worth a read.

If you are using your sub below 80Hz its sound source cannot be located so having two subs is an expensive luxury.

Those people bringing the sub frequencies up to meet say bookshelf speakers, will benefit from a stereo pair

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotest...calization.php
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast