+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Acoustic Energy AE1 signature

I'm Andrew.

Default Acoustic Energy AE1 signature

Any opinions on these little speakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

The original was supposed to be good but don't recall ever hearing any in action.

Low sensitivity, difficult load, but good bass extension for such a small speaker?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Default Acoustic Energy AE1 signature

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The original was supposed to be good but don't recall ever hearing any in action.

Low sensitivity, difficult load, but good bass extension for such a small speaker?
    Yes surprisingly good bass and they weigh a ton ( I believe concrete lined ) , I should have them on stands really.
    The date on the invoice says 1995 so not sure if that makes them original or not . As my obsession with Hifi is now at a healthier level I’m only running them with my little Aiwa stack and they sound good to me .

I'm Geoff.

The original was supposed to be good but don't recall ever hearing any in action
    Heard the originals loads of times. My mate had a set on the end of a pair of Naim 135 monos. It was certainly a spectacular sound, not to my liking though. It sounded a bit brutal, might have been the combination.

Can't comment on the 'Signature' edition. I'd expect them to be very similar though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

I do wish I could hear them with one the many great amps that I once had as I’m clearly not getting the best out of them , I do prefer my BC1’s tbh .

I'm Geoff.

They'll definitely need an amp with plenty of grunt and grip. Maybe a Krell or Adcom would be good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    They'll definitely need an amp with plenty of grunt and grip. Maybe a Krell or Adcom would be good.
    The previous owner had them hooked up to an Adcom actually, might ask if he’s selling that too otherwise I’ll move them on.

I'm Geoff.

Underrated amps. Well below the radar for most.

I'm Martin.

I think the original was late 1980s, here's a review of them from 1988

https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...526/index.html

Seems like I was wrong about them being a tough load, just need a lot of watts. And high stands.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Seems like I was wrong about them being a tough load, just need a lot of watts. And high stands.
    I doubt they be too good on the end of a big Quad like the 909 despite the wattage, not enough low end grip. An old Harman Kardon would work, as would a reasonable NAD (not a 3020).

+ Reply to Thread