+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ionic discs anyone?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Explain please!!
    It captures the entire audible frequency and dynamic range of any recording with inaudible levels of added distortion and noise. There's nowhere further you can go from there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    It captures the entire audible frequency and dynamic range of any recording with inaudible levels of added distortion and noise. There's nowhere further you can go from there.
    So music has no content below 20hz or above 20khz, and there are no audible effects on music from these broader frequencies?

Likewise, the digital filters used in playback are perfect?

Additionally, the laser based technology employed by cds is perfect with no errors in data recovery?

I accept cds may be perfect in your eyes (ears?) but certainly not mine!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    So music has no content below 20hz or above 20khz, and there are no audible effects on music from these broader frequencies?

Likewise, the digital filters used in playback are perfect?

Additionally, the laser based technology employed by cds is perfect with no errors in data recovery?

I accept cds may be perfect in your eyes (ears?) but certainly not mine!
    Frequency response - if you can't hear it then it's irrelevant.

Errors in data recovery are accounted for, if they cannot be then you will hear a momentary drop out or glitch. It's rare but it happens only due to excessive damage to a disc. Just replace the disc. Otherwise the analogue waveform is reproduced perfectly.

A technically perfect filter is impossible, that is true, however the filter does not need to be technically perfect for its lack of perfection to be inaudible.

Any problems with sound quality using CD indicate a problem with the playback system. (They may also be a result of excessive dynamic compression on a particular recording or recordings, or generally poor mastering - which is rare - but that is not the fault of the medium).

----------

Common issues with the playback system:

Poorly engineered loudspeakers that unduly emphasise areas of the frequency response resulting in a sound that is too bright or harsh.

Poor matching of amplifier to loudspeaker load (same result as above)

Incorrect gain staging resulting in overload.

Highly reflective listening environment (lack of furniture, carpets, curtains) resulting in excessive treble energy and 'bounce' (most likely cause of so called 'digital glare.')

Use of 'boutique' digital playback equipment (NOS or filterless DACs etc) where results will be unpredictable and dependant on the nature of the programme.

---------------------

Vinyl playback tends to be more forgiving of some of these issues for various reasons. In some ways CD is actually too good for some of the systems and rooms it is used with.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12